Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ricordia questions

someone

I have some questions about ricordia:

1) what are the general requirents?

2)How fast/big do they grow?

3) what do they need to be fed if anything?

4)How hardy are they?

I saw some at the lfs and was thinking about maybe gettting some sometime.

Dr. Saltwater

Ricordea are Mushrooms and require a little more than the 'plain' Mushroom coral with a flat skin.

Originally posted by someone

1) what are the general requirents?

Try to find a place in the middle or on the bottom of the tank. The current/waterflow in that area must be low and the light depends on the species from Low to Medium to High. For example; Ricordea yuma requires more light than Ricordea florida[/i]. You can often see it by the colors. Has the coral only one color than it requires more light ;). Watch out for MH, that can be to bright. So don't place them somewhere you'd place SPS-corals.

Waterchanges are often enough to keep them alive because you add new trace elements and iodine to the water.

2)How fast/big do they grow?

Not fast, unless you do it yourself. I've never measured the size actually!

3) what do they need to be fed if anything?

They live from the light, symbiotic algae zooxanthellae host them. So it don't need any foods because they live by photosynthesis. If you feed the other corals with plankton, these corals will pick something along. Also small invertabrates can be eaten, mostly critter, very small.

4)How hardy are they?

Not as hardy as flat Mushroom corals, so I guess moderate? But I think it's very hardy as long as you give them a good spot in the tank! So it mostly depends on that part.

I saw some at the lfs and was thinking about maybe gettting some sometime.

Why not, they are beautiful!

Hope you can use this, good luck with it.

Ricordea yuma requires more light than Ricordea florida

I have read the exact opposite in lots of different sources. Yuma's need less light then the florida.

Archived