Pod Your Reef

refractometer issues

Clown79

I am looking to replace my sybon refractometer.

I am having issues with it after 6yrs of use.

I first noticed that after calibrating it with cal solution, it stopped holding calibration to where I was having to calibrate it every couple of weeks.

I originally thought it was the calibration fluid and replaced it with a new bottle. Same thing happened. Every few weeks, it needed calibrating again.

I just replaced the calibration fluid with a new bottle again and a different brand.

I calibrated the refractometer again to 35 and a week later, it was off. reading 36.

Recalibrated to 35, mixed my saltwater and did my waterchanges.

Before testing my tanks salinity to make sure all was right after the waterchanges I checked the refractometer with calibration fluid and it was reading 34. That was 3 hrs after calibrating it to 35.

This refractometer was amazing. I rarely had to calibrate it up until this year.

So there is something going on with the refractometer and I think its time to replace it because I have purchased 3 bottles of calibration fluid and that's just a waste of money.

what is the best refractometer on the market, digital is something I am willing to move to if need be.

Christopher Marks

Tagging along on this one, I'm curious to hear people's experiences with digital refractometers. I believe they also have to be calibrated with regularity, but it's a quick process with calibration fluid.

I'm tagging along too. I may go digital as well. the Milwaukee one looks like a popular option. 

I made the mistake of getting the red sea refractometer when i first started out three years ago. It needs calibration every time. I also have to check it before and after my tank reading to make sure it's still calibrated. 

I am very happy with my Milwaukee refractometer, probably my favorite investment I’ve made in the hobby... worth every penny. You do need to calibrate with distilled or RODI each time but it’s quick and easy. If you get one, be sure to get the salinity/seawater one... they sell different types of refractometers. And I had to order a case separately. 

• Like 1
second_decimal

i have been using RM for many years. i used to just use RODI water to dial it in and i guess i was lucky enough to have my reading land in a acceptable range for the tank since RO water does NOT properly calibrate the RM. It can be way off as a matter of fact. I wound up with an additional RM by chance so i recently decided to double check my readings. bad idea. one RM was reading 1.023 the other 1.027 and the GLH probe was at 1.0225 or whatever from the same sample. my next purchase will be a hanna tester. although, during all this (before i started with calibration solution) and because of all the different readings, i went to LFS to confirm. He was reading 1.020 with this Hanna tester. checked the LFS with my RM, 1.032.. yikes. I used the LFS as a "good" point and brought my tank to match. His Hanna probe was off too though. Now i calibrate every time before use and the RM is my reference point. i also check the DT water as an additional reference and go from there. 

nothing is more frustrating than getting conflicting readings from different instruments. in the back of my mind I'm thinking to myself... "come on bro... if you cant even get the salinity right, you should probably just walk away"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

I am very happy with my Milwaukee refractometer, probably my favorite investment I’ve made in the hobby... worth every penny. You do need to calibrate with distilled or RODI each time but it’s quick and easy. If you get one, be sure to get the salinity/seawater one... they sell different types of refractometers. And I had to order a case separately. 

This is what i'm considering getting. I like the rodi calibration because its 1 less thing i have to buy😊

Now it seems here, not so many ppl sell it so thank you for the heads up on the correct model, i definitely will keep that in mind.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

i have been using RM for many years. i used to just use RODI water to dial it in and i guess i was lucky enough to have my reading land in a acceptable range for the tank since RO water does NOT properly calibrate the RM. It can be way off as a matter of fact. I wound up with an additional RM by chance so i recently decided to double check my readings. bad idea. one RM was reading 1.023 the other 1.027 and the GLH probe was at 1.0225 or whatever from the same sample. my next purchase will be a hanna tester. although, during all this (before i started with calibration solution) and because of all the different readings, i went to LFS to confirm. He was reading 1.020 with this Hanna tester. checked the LFS with my RM, 1.032.. yikes. I used the LFS as a "good" point and brought my tank to match. His Hanna probe was off too though. Now i calibrate every time before use and the RM is my reference point. i also check the DT water as an additional reference and go from there. 

nothing is more frustrating than getting conflicting readings from different instruments. in the back of my mind I'm thinking to myself... "come on bro... if you cant even get the salinity right, you should probably just walk away"

After reading a lot on refractometers, they all have a degree of inaccuracies- that truly sucks!

I feel your frustration because for about 6 mnths i have been frustrated with mine and its a solid brand.

Nothing worse than questioning your salinity levels because then your other parameters are questioned as well. 

Can someone just design a reliable salinity reader and a great heater? Two things in our hobby that aren't perfect but we rely on greatly

• Like 3