ReefCleaners.org

Tank Transfer Flatworms- CoralRx, Flatworm Exit, or FW Dip???

fish04

Hey folks- been a member her for years, but sort of went radio silent for a while. I have been chugging along with different sized tanks for the past 30 years. My established 10 nano is now being upgraded to a 40 cube. I want to bring most of the stuff over to the new tank, but I have a problem- flatworms. Red ones to be exact and lots of them. I have been siphoning them out from time to time and even tried "rinsing" the rocks in a weak saltwater solution once (that almost crashed the tank- toxins got released and  it was touch and go for a while). I am happy to start over in the new 40, actually would be nice to start fresh, but I have a few pieces I'd like to keep for sure- plus I would like to seed the Coraline in the new tank so some of it needs to come along.

So my question is- Coral Rx, Flatworm Exit, or freshwater dip to get rid of these things before i bring them over? I have read a ton on this, but I can't decide. I don't want to poison my new tank before it even gets started with Planaria toxin. I would like opinions based on real usage in a similar situation- I have read everything I can read at this point.

New tank is a 40 cube, cycling with Dr Tim's as we speak, new rock in that tank is an old rock harvest that I scored on Craigslist (for $1/lb) and has been bleach cured.

Thanks in advance!

I think you want to treat the old tank before you start doing any transferring.  Ideally wait a few weeks after treatment for observation too.  Then if all looks good (corals healthy; flatworms not visible) then go ahead with the move.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, but that really doesn't answer my question.I want to know what works best from someone who has gone through this and which method is least likely to cause a toxin spill (dip or treat entire tank).

I'm not sure what other info you're looking for?  

Unless you can count up the numbers of flatworms, there's no way to estimate the toxin load....that's why following the instructions that come with the treatment is of paramount importance.  Do not attempt any shortcuts.

Out of the options you mentioned, pick the flatworm treatment – Flatworm Exit.

1. You want to treat the main tank now, before you do any transfers.
  2. Wait for a few weeks after you do the treatment to make sure you got them all – the need to re-treat is pretty common, but not universal.
  3. If all is clear after the few weeks, then do the transfer

Hopefully this helps!  If not maybe someone else can comment or maybe you can clarify what you're looking for more specifically.

• Like 1

I know i've purchased corals that had flatworms on them, unfortunately not seen until i got home.

Standard coral dip- did nothing.

Freshwater dip- dropped the flatworms off the coral.

If i were in the position you were in, i would use flatworm exit and treat the old tank before transferring anything into the new tank.

I would definitely wait after treatment before transfer because some people have to do 2 treatments to get rid of them.

• Like 1

Thanks folks- I have been co-exiting with these things for a while. I did a simple saltwater swish when I moved a few months back just to try to dislodge some of them, which reduced them for a short time- but that alone almost crashed my system. Debating if its worth even moving anything into the new tank at all.

I may chisel off a few pieces that I definitely want, do a Coral Rx dip or FW dip before putting them in, and then try to treat whats left in the little tank with Flatworm Exit, then sell it that off. Its mostly zoos and shrooms anyway at this point. I have two fish, three orange rics (nice!), a neon green nepithia and a few purple shrooms are all I want to transfer. 

I’d go with a Twenty to Thirty minute RO/DI dip. That’s what I did with mine to get rid of an excessive amount of Bristle Worms. As you can see my Sponge Micro Feather Dusters, and Tunicates survived. 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, fish04 said:

Thanks folks- I have been co-exiting with these things for a while. I did a simple saltwater swish when I moved a few months back just to try to dislodge some of them, which reduced them for a short time- but that alone almost crashed my system. Debating if its worth even moving anything into the new tank at all.

I may chisel off a few pieces that I definitely want, do a Coral Rx dip or FW dip before putting them in, and then try to treat whats left in the little tank with Flatworm Exit, then sell it that off. Its mostly zoos and shrooms anyway at this point. I have two fish, three orange rics (nice!), a neon green nepithia and a few purple shrooms are all I want to transfer. 

That's because when you kill flatworms and they aren't fully removed, they become toxic. So swishing things around could kill some and if they aren't siphoned out - it becomes a problem.

What you visually see in the tank flatworm wise, there are a ton more you aren't seeing.

Even those who use flatworm exit, if the directions aren't followed exactly, they end up with problems. Not from the flatworm exit but the dead flatworms themselves