Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wood Airstone DIY

DSA65PRO

Wood Airstone

Get a 2” x 2” block of untreated, raw Basswood** It’s available from a wood hobby shop, ask them to cut it down the middle so you have Two blocks, 7/8” X 2” x Length. 

At home measure from the end to a point 3/8” from the end. Drill a 3/16” inch hole 1-3/4” into the block. Cut the Drilled piece off. Repeat till you run out of wood. If you can figure out your Saw  Kurf you can drill all the holes out at once, the second hole will be further from the end than 3/8” due to the loss of wood from sawing. It is difficult to drill holes in the individual pieces, unless you have a clamp, that won’t damage the wood. DON’T HOLD THE SMALL PIECE of WOOD IN YOUR HAND! For a longer lasting Airstone with that can be used with a smaller pump. Drill the hole out larger, and plug the hole with a Wolfcraft 3/8” Plug. and drill a 3/16” hole for your Airline. I robbed the fittings off my old Wood Airstones. Sand the edges of the Airstones to Camfer them a bit. ** When I made these I couldn’t find a Source for Limewood any where, this seems to be the case today. When I made my Second Batch, I think I used Birch wood, but can’t find any notes on this. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1