Pod Your Reef

Stof's IM Nuvo Concept Panorama Dropoff 20g: Acropora dreamland

kthehun89

This tank is finally at a point where I feel comfortable sharing my work so here's to starting a journal.  

I left the hobby after a devastating tank crash back in 2011.  It has been a while since I could even look at coral, but before long I was back thinking about a new tank.  I had setup a IM10 at the end of 2018 but that never really scratched the itch.  

I purchased the IM 20 gallon Panorama dropoff in 11/2019 and had it cycled by the end of the year.  90% of the coral is 2020 vintage.  So, the equipment breakdown of the tank:

Light: Viparspectra 165w dimmable LED.  Blue channel on at 8am at 60%, off at 8pm.  White channel on at 2pm, off at 6pm.  I've had this light since January 2020 and it obviously grows the crap out of coral and my clam.  

Skimmer: IM ghost skimmer.  Works well, no complaints.  

Flow: MP10 at 100% reef crest, 2x eFlux pumps on 100%.  Stock pro return set to full blast.  Lots of flow in this bad boy. 

Heating/Cooling: 100w titanium heater and fan plugged into random temp probe heater/cooler controller.  Keeps my tank at 79 degrees perfectly.  

ATO: Homemade float switch ATO been using without fail since 2007...

Cal/Alk Dosing: Jebao doser, 10mL of Brightwell's 2-part a day.  Will upgrade to a more known, and potentially more reliable brand in the future.  Has worked without fail for 1 month.  

Etc. Dosing: On Wednesdays I add 10mL of Aquavitro Fuel, 5mL of Microbacter 7, 1mL of 50% ethanol, 1mL of Brightwell's aminos, and 5mL of AcroPower. 

Other equipment: Media reactor with chaeto and caulerpa and LED light bar running 24/7.  Everything plugs into a Pyle 19 plug DJ power strip.  Awesome investment for the tank, super worth it!   

Etc. maintenance notes: Fish are fed twice a week, either a pinch OmegaOne pellets of or MarineCuisine.  I don't feed the corals directly.  I try and do water changes with Coral Pro salt every other week but it's more like every three weeks.  

Stocklist: 

• Fish: 2 clowns, that's all 
  • Inverts: 5"+ blue/green T. maxima clam, Bill, 2+ months in the system, doing great.  Green bubble tip anemone for the clowns too.  
  • SPS: Superman monti, Mystic sunset monti, ASD green deepwater acro, ASD rainbow mille, Blue tort, Icefire echinata, Tyree pink lemonade acro, Strawberry shortcake microclados acro, ORA red planet acro, Jawjacker acro, Randow gold mille, Random green mille, two different acropora tenuis, tricolor valida acro... probably missing some.  
  • LPS/Softies: 3 different acans, mummy eye chalice, pink chalice, rircordea garden, and a whole mess of nice zoas and palys in the mix.  

Pictures

Current:

2DDD9B12-888F-4E5C-BBFE-80FBD2A1AE80.thumb.JPG.5cfaa95095e85cede6588c089d03c6d8.JPG

June 2020:

1649822331_IMG_3244copy.thumb.jpg.816e92fcbab21a4540eaaed43b8e0998.jpg

January 2020:

1237899118_Januarytankstart.thumb.jpg.c3f1fc0a98756b3c457df99eeca75775.jpg

Clam:

IMG_3997.thumb.jpg.5c7bc049db9e717b72f6b70a9dcfdfe0.jpg

Final notes and thoughts: 

• nothing quick happens fast in a reef tank.  Take it slow. 
  • Plan your coral out and avoid bad purchases. 
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it (stop messing with stuff).
  • Lot's of hype out there, don't buy into it.  
  • I've never tested for phosphates or nitrates.
  • I test my Alk every week. Rarely calcium.
  • You should probably buy a different heater

Going forward:

• Tank is mostly full.  2 more acans probably and some other LPS to fill out the tank.  
  • I've been considering adding a non-jumping fish.
  • Gradually adding in large crushed coral into sand areas to decrease sand getting blown around during full bore MP10
  • Upgrade dosing system
  • Take some frags and sell them to fund a better camera.  
  • Sit back and enjoy.  I've been spending a bunch of time with my tank through COVID closures.  It shows.  

Follow my tank's IG @20gallonsofreef

Thanks for looking.  I'll take more coral photos one of these days. 

• Like 2