Top Shelf Aquatics

Baby hermit crabs help please

Batmom2016

Apparently two of my hermits had babies and now I have thousands of tiny little babies floating around my tank.

my question is what are the chances of survival?  

Aside from coral I only have one clown fish in the tank. 

what do I feed them? 

my tank looks like a snow globe! 
(All of the tiny white specks are baby hermits,  the two hermits pictured are the parents I watched the smaller one release all of the babies,  they’ve also been mating non stop for the last 3 days weird)

CD9469FA-E999-4DC0-9735-8D5C4BD07D0E.jpeg

0DD57F25-9052-4BD3-B52F-868E984A94AE.jpeg

Very cool!  Now you just have to find thousands of tiny little shells for them. :wink:

Unfortunately, I haven't really seen info on how to raise them.  People usually just consider the larvae as food for the fish and corals in your tank.   What aren't eaten, usually get filtered out.  Still very cool.

24 minutes ago, seabass said:

Very cool!  Now you just have to find thousands of tiny little shells for them. :wink:

Unfortunately, I haven't really seen info on how to raise them.  People usually just consider the larvae as food for the fish and corals in your tank.   What aren't eaten, usually get filtered out.  Still very cool.

Awe that’s so sad 😞 I was hoping to be able to save some of them 

It's very, very hard to raise hermit crabs to adulthood, because they go through a ton of planktonic larval stages first. You could look up what people have done to raise land hermit crabs, and then just alter the stages that involve them coming onto land, but it's still going to be quite difficult and require a specialized setup. The problem is, baby hermit crabs are plankton, and most plankton is difficult to keep alive. 

(Also, it really is very difficult to get enough tiny, TINY shells for that many tiny babies. I think the person raising land hermit larvae got empty shells from a whelk eggcase?)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tired said:

It's very, very hard to raise hermit crabs to adulthood, because they go through a ton of planktonic larval stages first. You could look up what people have done to raise land hermit crabs, and then just alter the stages that involve them coming onto land, but it's still going to be quite difficult and require a specialized setup. The problem is, baby hermit crabs are plankton, and most plankton is difficult to keep alive. 

(Also, it really is very difficult to get enough tiny, TINY shells for that many tiny babies. I think the person raising land hermit larvae got empty shells from a whelk eggcase?)

I woke up this morning and they all dissappeared assuming they’re got filtered out 😆 

next time I might try to save some of them I have a whole bunch of teeny ramshorn shells like pinhead size shells I just have to wash them

i think maybe a betta tank with a bubble driven filter might work without any filter media in it? Just to keep the water moving or a small powerhead only in a 5 gallon tank. 

You'd need a kreisel tank, the sort of circular tank that people keep jellyfish in. A powerhead will just suck them in and kill them. You'll want to look at what this lady did, if you want to try to raise some.

https://maryakers.com/inthecrabitat/

It won't be exactly the same, of course. The different life stages will take different amounts of time from land hermits. You'd need to keep them alive and watch for when they settle to the bottom, to know when to add the shells for them to live in. At least you don't have to deal with the land transition. 

10 minutes ago, Tired said:

You'd need a kreisel tank, the sort of circular tank that people keep jellyfish in. A powerhead will just suck them in and kill them. You'll want to look at what this lady did, if you want to try to raise some.

https://maryakers.com/inthecrabitat/

It won't be exactly the same, of course. The different life stages will take different amounts of time from land hermits. You'd need to keep them alive and watch for when they settle to the bottom, to know when to add the shells for them to live in. At least you don't have to deal with the land transition. 

Wow thank you!  I will look into it!  That is cool

9 hours ago, seabass said:

Upside my corals happily had a feast! 😆

• Like 1