ReefCleaners.org

My new clowns!

todd2000

So my tank is cycled and I was looking to get a pair of Percs, but none of my LFSs had any regular ones, and even the morphs that I kinda liked didn't look to be in the best condition. I'm not crazy about a lot of these morphs anyway. That being said Liveaquaria tempted me with these guys in Diver's Den, kept looking at them all day and finally bit the bullet. I can't seem to find this particular variety on ORA's site... They'll be here on Tuesday! Anyway just excited and had to share. 🙂

IMG_6772.jpeg

• Like 9

My best guess as to what they are would be a mocha (ocellaris x darwin) bred with a regular ocellaris. Nice looking fish! They look different while still looking classic 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, RedCrow said:

My best guess as to what they are would be a mocha (ocellaris x darwin) bred with a regular ocellaris. Nice looking fish! They look different while still looking classic 

Yeah that's what I like, they are a bit different, but not a crazy morph. Call me crazy, but I wanted a clownfish that looks like a clownfish. 🙂

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Very nice coloration.

Today's the big day, let us know how it goes @todd2000!

They look great! Arrived in good shape even for being 6 hours late! Thanks FedEx! Will try to post pics or a video later. Wish I could say the same for the hermits I ordered. Out of 15 I think 7-8 are just empty shells or dead. Haven’t budged since I put them in! Gonna check when I get home and maybe try to get some $$ back. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, todd2000 said:

Haven’t budged since I put them in!

Sometimes it takes awhile for them to get active after shipping.  I'd probably inform the vendor, while still holding out hope.  They may tell you to wait too; but reporting it early and finding out what their arrive alive guarantee is couldn't hurt.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Sometimes it takes awhile for them to get active after shipping.  I'd probably inform the vendor, while still holding out hope.  They may tell you to wait too; but reporting it early and finding out what their arrive alive guarantee is couldn't hurt.

Yeah it was Liveaquaria so it’s a 14 day guarantee. We’ll see if they are moving around d when I get home from work. 

• Like 2

Well so far they haven't really eaten! I ordered some Hakari Marine-S when I ordered the fish, but the fish got here before the food did. I went to Petsmart yesterday and got some San Francisco Bay Marine Cuisine, which seemed like the best option they had. They didn't eat any of that last night, I figured they were still adjusting. Got the Hakari today and tried that and they still didn't really eat any of it. I think they might have picked at a pellet or two.

Try not to panic just yet; this sounds more normal than not.  Keep trying a couple of times a day, but don't leave the uneaten food to rot (a turkey baster works pretty well to remove the food).

The stress of shipping is enough to reduce their appetite.  Then couple that with the likelihood that they have never eaten this particular food before.  But not to worry just yet (I might get concerned if it were a week).

As far as something you might try to get them eating, you might try some thawed frozen mysis shrimp.  Brine shrimp usually works too, but is a nutritionally poor food.  Once they start eating and realize it's safe, clownfish rarely turn there backs on just about any food.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Try not to panic just yet; this sounds more normal than not.  Keep trying a couple of times a day, but don't leave the uneaten food to rot (a turkey baster works pretty well to remove the food).

The stress of shipping is enough to reduce their appetite.  Then couple that with the likelihood that they have never eaten this particular food before.  But not to worry just yet (I might get concerned if it were a week).

As far as something you might try to get them eating, you might try some thawed frozen mysis shrimp.  Brine shrimp usually works too, but is a nutritionally poor food.  Once they start eating and realise it's safe, clownfish rarely turn there backs on just about any food.

Well the Marine Cuisine is a blend of frozen brine shrimp, mysis, plankton etc... According to Liveaquaria they feed Hakari Marine S, frozen brine among other things so...

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine food.  Your fish are captive bred, and I'm pretty sure that Live Aquaria doesn't breed them.  I toured their facility awhile back (even posted a few pics).  Those particular fish may or may not have been fed that particular food.

Anyway, the point was that if you want to try to get them to eat sooner, you might try some thawed frozen mysis.  Most carnivores and omnivores tend to like it.  Pellets are a bit like feeding a dog a quality dry dog food; there's nothing wrong with that and they may even love it.  But frozen mysis is more similar (in texture and smell) to what they might naturally eat.

No matter; I'm sure they'll start eating soon.  Clownfish always do.  Then once they start eating, they become little pigs, and will beg for food when you stop by the tank.  Good luck.

52 minutes ago, seabass said:

Don't get me wrong it's a fine food.  Your fish are captive bred, and I'm pretty sure that Live Aquaria doesn't breed them.  I toured their facility awhile back (even posted a few pics).  Those particular fish may or may not have been fed that particular food.

Anyway, the point was that if you want to try to get them to eat sooner, you might try some thawed frozen mysis.  Most carnivores and omnivores tend to like it.  Pellets are a bit like feeding a dog a quality dry dog food; there's nothing wrong with that and they may even love it.  But frozen mysis is more similar (in texture and smell) to what they might naturally eat.

No matter; I'm sure they'll start eating soon.  Clownfish always do.  Then once they start eating, they become little pigs, and will beg for food when you stop by the tank.  Good luck.

Right my point was there is mysis in the marine cuisine. Maybe I will try just mysis. 

13 hours ago, seabass said:

They ate some of the Marine Cuisine tonight! I turned my pumps off this time, should have done that from the beginning. Gonna have the figure out a way to do it easily, have to unplug them to turn them off. The lights are on smart outlets, maybe I'll put the pumps on them as well, and just tell Alexa to turn them off.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, todd2000 said:

They ate some of the Marine Cuisine tonight!

Awesome.  Even though you're sure they'll start to eat, it's always a relief when they actually do.

3 minutes ago, todd2000 said:

I turned my pumps off this time

That was smart.  Although you shouldn't have after awhile.

8 minutes ago, seabass said:

That was smart.  Although you shouldn't have after awhile.

Hopefully, I'll probably do it for a few more days at least... then see. They didn't really venture too far for the food, but if it came close enough they ate some. 

• Like 1