inTank Media Baskets

One Local Clown In a 9 Gallon

Charith1986

In my 9gallon tank I have put only one local clown of one inch. The tank is cycled and one over one week old now. I have plans to put very few mushroom corals to it and my question is will my clown feel lonely (this may be a funny thing to ask) as it is the only fish in the tank ?

Most likely not, lone clowns live less-stressful lives than the male in a pair, on average, you could probably have a tiny bottom-dweller too if you like.
Provided it's not a maroon clown 10 gallons is fine.

That's a good concern to have, but no, it shouldn't be stressed. 

As stated above, you can probably also get a tiny fish like a trimma goby or a clown goby. That's only if you want it, though, the clownfish won't care. 

What is a "local" clownfish? 

• Like 1

My clown has acted less skittish and swims more openly when he has had a tank mate.

He's been alone twice and when alone only hangs out in 1 area and acts more skittish.

You could add a clown goby or even a tailspot blenny.

Blennies have lots of character and eat algae too

• Like 2

I got one of those, “Local” Clownfish. Met the lady at the local WaWa, her story was she got an Eel, and the Anemone wasn’t enough protection, and it’s mate got eaten. Since there were no articles in Police Beat, of boosted Clownfish, I bought it off her. 

• Haha 1

Blenny's are pigs and will eat just about anything you drop into the tank lol, calling them algae eaters is more of a selling point than a requirement or even typical behavior.

(With the exception of a few difficult species iirc, although I may be thinking of two spot gobies...)

• Like 3

I've been keeping a (small) photon clownfish in a mature 7 gallon and he was just fine - he's even had a pink streak wrasse for a tank mate for the past month or so. They've just gone into a 30 gallon and look like they're appreciating the added swim room, but they didn't have any complaints before. They're best buds at the mo, but the wrasse might become third wheel when I add another clownfish in a few weeks 😂

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

Blenny's are pigs and will eat just about anything you drop into the tank lol, calling them algae eaters is more of a selling point than a requirement or even typical behavior.

(With the exception of a few difficult species iirc, although I may be thinking of two spot gobies...)

Ya, you can supplement their diet with nori if a tank doesn't have enough algae.

Tsb is an easier fish than clown gobies which are notoriously difficult to feed.

• Like 3

Yes I had a blenny before in my same tank but it had a lot of algae and it was very happy. But I moved him to a new tank and unfortunately it died i think with no food (algae) to eat. 

ATM i have only one clown (1 inch) and planing to have a another one and half inch chromi and thats all for fish. Will that be alright ? I know chromis need a 30g tank but I love that fish.

Chromis are too active a swimmer for a small footprint, plus they're very common vectors for certain nasty diseases right now. I wouldn't.

A springers damselfish might bring a similar profile, but could potentially run into territory issues with the clown, it will likely come down to individual personality and you'd need to be prepared to re-home.

• Like 2

Yeah should think on that. I started this tank after sometime being away from the hobby. So have in mind to move for a bigger tank (20g) in couple of months.

Till that will enjoy only these two fish. And when the algae come i will add a crab and later a shrimp as well. Hope it will fill the gaps of this 9g.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:14 AM, Tired said:

That's a good concern to have, but no, it shouldn't be stressed. 

As stated above, you can probably also get a tiny fish like a trimma goby or a clown goby. That's only if you want it, though, the clownfish won't care. 

What is a "local" clownfish? 

Actually its a Clarkii Clown fish.

• Wow 1
6 hours ago, Charith1986 said:

Actually its a Clarkii Clown fish.

Oooooh mean Clownfish and they get big big Like stated above. 

Maybe trade in to lfs and a smaller clown species? 

• Like 2

Ooh, actually, don't put that in a 9gal. I figured you were talking about an occy or a percula, both of which stay small. 

Definitely do not put any other fish with a clarkii in anything less than 30 gallons. 

• Like 2