Pod Your Reef

Back In The Game - 5g Marineland Portrait

fsu1dolfan

So coming from a 29 biocube from years ago, I had this Marineland 5g portrait calling to me lol. Originally had it in my office with with a betta and then when it died, I did some cold water tetra. Eventually after a few years I just stopped stocking it and took it down. I have two little boys and I figured a little reef tank with be fun for them and me.  Before I get judged, the clown will eventually be swapped for another baby.  I know at 5g it is pushing it. Mainly I wanted to do this for a pistol and goby relationship. And the boys even enjoy watching the clean up crew. 
I got rid of the plastic filter thing In the back and using double sided intank filter stuff. Replaced the stock pump for the one listed below and also replaced the crappy stock lights. So far it has been really good little tank. 
Here is what I am using: 

Equipment -

Marineland portrait 5g (Had it already)

Hydor nano koralia $28

Hydor 160gph return pump $24

Spin stream $23

Hipargero Light $64

JW submersible thermometer $6

Refactometer (Had it already)

Saltwater master test kit $23

Hanna refills for calcium and alkalinity $32

PVC pipe for pistol shrimp $3

Vinyl tubing for water changes $5

Water weld from Home Depot $6

Intank magnet cleaner

Intank filter media $15

Chemipure $8

Shells

Shark teeth

Live stuff:

Chaeto $5 (died - not enough light and probably not a good idea for a new tank)

Pods $10

Live sand $10

Live rock/dry rock $15

5g Ocean water $5 (Don't use Natural Sea Water!  Red Sea Max only especially on a small tank)

2 hermits $2 (one killed the other LOL)

1 Nass snail $2 (died and probably not a good idea FYI)

2 nerites $4

4 trochus babies free

1 percula clown $15

1 hi fin banned goby $25

1 red stripe pistol $23

2 Turbos

Coral:

Gsp back wall $5

Darth Maul one polyp $10

Mandarin orange one polyp $10

Mandarin Clove Polyps $40

Ricordea $40

Dragon Eye zoa $20

Radioactive Dragon eyes $20

Rastas $35

Fruit Loops $30

Jungle Juice? $30

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2652.JPG

• Like 3
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. The kids are going to love this.

Thanks. It has been for sure. Good learning tool too. My oldest had no clue how cool the pistol shrimp is. 

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Awesome! I have one of these little tanks and it was been working really well for a reef 🙂

Nice!  If you have any tips, feel free to share. 

2 hours ago, ReefAdoRe said:

Following along - looks like it is going to be awesome! ☺️

Much appreciated!!

Not sure if this works but I’ve tried uploading my stuff to a site called smugmug

let me know if this link works. 

btw my pistol and goby don’t care for the pipe I made for them 😂😂😂

but they seem to be doing well and pair within seconds of going in the tank together. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fsu1dolfan said:

Not sure if this works but I’ve tried uploading my stuff to a site called smugmug

let me know if this link works. 

btw my pistol and goby don’t care for the pipe I made for them 😂😂😂

but they seem to be doing well and pair within seconds of going in the tank together. 

Def works! Cool video! 

So took care of a water change a couple of days ago and my shrimp and goby are making all kinds of tunnels. Had to finally scare them out and into the pvc home I made for them.  Took one night and the shrimp found the goby hiding out in there.  Busy at work making it a new home and no more destroying my rock scape lol. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
On 9/15/2020 at 2:51 PM, fsu1dolfan said:

spacer.png

Home sweet home! This is a great solution. 

Welcome back to the community too! If it’s any help, you can upload photos directly to the site now when you post, just tap the ‘choose files’ link at the bottom of the post editor. 👍

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 8:00 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Home sweet home! This is a great solution. 

Welcome back to the community too! If it’s any help, you can upload photos directly to the site now when you post, just tap the ‘choose files’ link at the bottom of the post editor. 👍

Thanks!!  

I tried this but my phone ones come in sideways. Is there a way to fix it?

Still getting through the ugly phase but everything doing well.  Weekly 50% water changes, feeding 2/3 times a week, and constant cleaning lol.

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

• Like 4

How long was the cycle? You and me pretty much started our picos at the same time! 🥰 I have the marine land contour 3 and just placed my first corals in. Seeing your build is truly inspirational for me ☺️🌞

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 12:35 PM, ReefAdoRe said:

How long was the cycle? You and me pretty much started our picos at the same time! 🥰 I have the marine land contour 3 and just placed my first corals in. Seeing your build is truly inspirational for me ☺️🌞

I really appreciate the kind words.  As for the cycle, I placed fish and coral within the first few weeks.  No problems and didn't lose anything.  Parameters were all stable...not perfect but very stable. My liverock and livesand helps speed up that process.  The ugly phase though has taken some time.  But I think I am turning a corner.  Did a water change this weekend (like every weekend lol) and about to post some pictures.  Good luck with your build too.  Do you have a thread?

On 10/27/2020 at 9:05 AM, fsu1dolfan said:

I really appreciate the kind words.  As for the cycle, I placed fish and coral within the first few weeks.  No problems and didn't lose anything.  Parameters were all stable...not perfect but very stable. My liverock and livesand helps speed up that process.  The ugly phase though has taken some time.  But I think I am turning a corner.  Did a water change this weekend (like every weekend lol) and about to post some pictures.  Good luck with your build too.  Do you have a thread?

I do not know how to add my “threads” to my profile, or even copy them.  I have a Pico Journal and a Biocube journal.  My pico is the 3g version of your Pico ☺️

Just starting to go through ugly phase now.... it’s still pretty though. 😅  - hope the link below works.  Not really good at this forum thing other than reading and replying - all these other tricks that folks do around here are a work in progress for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I only have one pic for right now but picked up some new corals. An orange ricordea with 4 mouths and mandarin clove polyps. Had to do some aquascaping since my rock work moves too much. Had to make it be more one entire piece. Lots of super glue and putty but I think it will work. 

CF047D49-8C12-4C8C-B467-4D946B2625D6.jpeg

• Like 2

Okay so the firework clove polyps are looking like the are settled. Been a few days and I think they like where I put them. Here are a few pics along with a full tank pic. 

FC8BA0C5-527D-45DC-9254-97FB766A31B4.jpeg

7EBD53FF-1276-4FDC-9353-0271CE64FC3E.jpeg

2BBE7045-12DB-4257-A2BC-4B8C03CC14E2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a tall skinny siphon vacuum. I was looking for one but wasn’t sure. Thanks for any suggestions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update time. So I bought a siphon that is 1” inch in diameter. And 6” inches long. It wasn’t long enough or skinny enough for my liking. So I bought some 7/8” tubing and it fit inside perfectly. Worked for cleaning my sand in hard to reach places. See pics below to see what I bought. I also played around with my new Orphek lenses for my phone. Definitely makes a difference when taking pics with just the blue lights. Can wait for my coral to open back up fully after the water change. Here is a progress pic and a few others. 

39E2DFE2-7443-4ADD-BA4C-B0A3ADFB8C4F.png

22697730-01A6-423C-8C16-7F6B9C15C618.jpeg

5C5B39A4-069C-4620-9367-ABDDB34DF0D9.jpeg

5625E01A-BD02-401C-8502-55D602EC6F67.jpeg

21EFF117-CE88-4453-8A5C-54B26280C141.jpeg

1E0DDE5E-01D0-401F-BB6B-B4680711010F.jpeg

C57F0CF8-5E2D-49F7-A881-B21C8A4662C0.jpeg

41D751FE-92E8-49A1-9397-1C78A18168A2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 2:15 AM, Tamberav said:

Awesome DIY mod. On my tank I just turkeybaste the sand to stir it up.

Thanks. Trying to get around my rock work to clean the sand has been tough. Not a lot of room in there lol