ReefCleaners.org

Maroon to keep 6line in check?

djp183

Well title basically says it. I was dumb and put a 6line wrasse in my 2 month old 40 gallon aquatop first. I love him but I want another fish or two. I used to have a maroon clown and he was very territorial. So I’m wondering if getting another would offset the bullying I’m sure would happen if I added a gramma or firefish instead. Thanks.

2DB07E88-6010-4B95-B683-9DFD3A5B5AEC.jpeg

I should have clarified; would just be getting a maroon. Hmm, but if a gramma could hold its own with either of those...  I should also mention that I have a well-fed hitchhiker mantis shrimp. So far he has left the wrasse and most of my crabs and hermits alone; even during the week we were at the beach. Definitely on the fence about keeping him though.

You should not get a maroon clownfish, no. It'll probably kill everything else once it matures, in a tank that size. Then your problem wouldn't be an aggressive sixline, it would be a dead sixline and a maroon so aggressive you can't keep everything else. 

Don't put a firefish in a tank with aggressive fish, especially not added after them. A gramma might work, they can hold their own. Another option is a shrimpgoby, which will live in tunnels (especially if you get a pistol shrimp) and largely stay out of the way. Or you could try an ocellaris clown, or one of the semiaggressive damsels like a yellowtail blue.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

OK so you know they do not play well with others.

Yeah. He was my first clownfish so I have some nostalgia for the maroon ones. But probably better to go with an occillarus.

• Like 1

I have easily the meanest 40 gallon there is. If you want a Maroon clown get one, but don't get another aggressive fish to combat more aggression. Fighting fire with fire.

Maroons are not that bad. My pair don't bother anyone at all and my tank is cramped. 

• Like 1