Pod Your Reef

Help did i kill my reef

parajax

Today i picked up 3 pyramid snails and chemipure blue.  I thought i'd try this as i had a little algae.  Per instructions i rinsed the chemipure until clear and put in my sump of my max nano.  

Within 30 min my tank is totally cloudy.  I mean you can't see in.   I did a 30 percent water change and it remains the same.   I'll change out more water.  

The skimmer is pulling out white chalky foam, that i assume is related to the chemipure.  

ANy thoughts what else i can do?  

Tank has been established for over a year and half and is full of corals and several fish.  

thanks for your thoughts

I changed out more water-around 60-70% total change out.   Beginning to see the corals nearest the glass, so hopefully this is receding.  

Of course first thing i did i pulled out the chemipure.  I have used this several times in the past without issue.  

Should i put in regular carbon to help pull out any toxins?  

Has anyone had similar experiences with this product?  

Wow, that's no good. Yes, absolutely run carbon, carbon is always a good bet in case of unwanted substances. Do water changes, but remember to get the new water up to tank temperature, and make sure the salinity is the same, so you don't shock anything. 

Does the stuff you can see look okay? 

The cloudiness is receding.  I can see to the back of the tank and most corals are partially extended and nothing looks like it was immediately turned to jelly.  Fish seem distressed-swimming about more-but not panting like they aren't getting O2.  I have increased my pumps and my Nero 5.  I am feeling better, but man i did feel panicked.     

Looks much better. I'd still keep doing water changes until it's clear, though- just in case whatever's happened is harmful. At the very least, the fish and corals would seem to indicate that it's uncomfortable for them, and that's no good.

It doesn't sound like a side effect from chemipure tho....which is basically activated carbon pre-measured in a convenient pouch.  The other minor additives shouldn't be likely to do this either....not that I've ever heard anyway.

Pretty strange!

• Like 1

Heres an update.  After water changes last evening, this morning my tank is back to normal.  Fish and corals seem unaffected.  
I checked Alk and it was 10, which is pretty normal.  

I really cannot explain this.  Putting the chemipure in the sump is the only thing i did different.  But it caused something to precipitate out of the water.  
I put the CP in a cup of tank water and let it sit for hours this morning, with no obvious effects.  

Thats one thing i like about this hobby-there are always mysteries to solve.    

Jack

• Like 2