Cultivated Reef

Royal Gramma Care? Lifespan?

Zionas

I’m definitely planning to add a Royal Gramma to my tank, but are they a demanding fish to keep? Are they hardy enough to go into new tanks? Any diseases I have to watch out for? For those of you who’ve kept them and / or are currently keeping them, how long do they live / have they lived for you? Would a Yellowtail Blue Damsel be too aggressive of a tank mate for a Royal Gramma?

RoyalGramma001

Hardy fish as long as you cycle it properly. Mine got ich so I would say watch out for that. I don't know how long they live but that's just what I know from the short time I had one.

Just now, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hardy fish as long as you cycle it properly. Mine got ich so I would say watch out for that. I don't know how long they live but that's just what I know from the short time I had one.

Also easily stressed so I would say no damsels unless it's a large gramma

Glad to know it’s hardy. Guess no Damsel then. My tank will be missing a nice dash of blue. Will Ocellaris Clowns be okay with the Gramma? Mine I don’t want a large one I want one 1-1.5”. 

Heard Springer’s Damsels are more peaceful but I’ve never seen them for sale here. Another option would be a dwarf angel in the Argi Complex, we most commonly get the African Flameback but heard they can also be a bit feisty?

Mine is crazy easy. Created a nice cave for itself, and constantly moving the sand in and out. It's funny to watch it spit sand a few inches from the opening. Sleeps in the rocks, hides when people are in the room, but out all the time when nobody is there. Eats EVERYTHING I have added. Mostly feed mysis though. 

It's a bit of a bully to any new fish. I only have that and 2 clowns. I've tried multiple gobies but they all disappear within a few days/weeks. 

Grammas need a cave of their own, which they'll claim and defend. They don't tend to be easily stressed fish as long as they have a good place to hide. If you add a yellowtail blue damsel (not a yellowbelly devil!) to the tank last, it shouldn't be a problem. They're hardy enough fish, but, like everything else, you shouldn't put them in an un-cycled tank. Make sure you have multiple free caves available for it to pick from, and if possible, add it first. 

Bear in mind, any gramma you get will eventually grow into a large gramma. They get about 3". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1