Pod Your Reef

Barnacles within the reef/Fowlr systems

Reefer-begginer

Reefer-begginer

So starting to actually get more CuC for my 2 tanks since my 125 is going fallow for about 3 months. I came across one of my remaining snails with what I can guess is a barnacle.

Question is, based on research I find that they can be beneficial but can also be detrimental to a system if they get out of hand.

Rather than get rid of it im keeping it, but as its just a single barnacle, do I need more than 1 to have a "outbreak"? Or is one gonna spread over time and then become a nuisance?

Regarding that for a reef tank ( my 36g bow front reef ), would they harm/kill any soft corals or would they just attach to hard skeleton corals and be like a filter feeder among the coral ( i have hammers and soon to be some more acans/acros )?

I've never heard of barnacles reproducing in a reef tank. Aren't they plankton as larvae? That would make it difficult for any larvae to survive. 

Barnacles practice internal fertilization, which means they have to be able to cough reach each other to mate. 

I don't believe they're harmful. A barnacle is just a very weird crustacean that lives in a shell and sticks out a filter-feeding appendage sometimes. I've seen them living among coral without causing any visible damage.