Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New tank set up

Goonerlad4

How big is the tank and what kind of food are you putting in to break down? A larger tank might take more time for a noticeable amount of ammonia to creep in.

Also, congrats on the new tank going up 👍.

24 minutes ago, Leoito said:

How big is the tank and what kind of food are you putting in to break down? A larger tank might take more time for a noticeable amount of ammonia to creep in.

Also, congrats on the new tank going up 👍.

It’s a aqua one 35 I have dry rock with 1lb of live sand, just flake food has gone in so far

10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

What rock did you use?

Wet liverock

Wet cured liverock

Or dry rock?

Just dry rock with live sand has gone in, is food not enough to get it going 

I guess this is sort of a dumb question, but how much flake food are you adding and when? Every day or so? 

Most people use something that decays over time (like a piece of raw shrimp), but even larger pellets would do the trick if you're still running into issues. I only used a combination of flakes, micropellets, and larger shrimp pellets for my own fishless cycle.

7 minutes ago, Leoito said:

I guess this is sort of a dumb question, but how much flake food are you adding and when? Every day or so? 

Most people use something that decays over time (like a piece of raw shrimp), but even larger pellets would do the trick if you're still running into issues. I only used a combination of flakes, micropellets, and larger shrimp pellets for my own fishless cycle.

I have been putting in a few flakes everyday, I have large pellets will give that a go, do they do a ammonia supplement I could use, I have googled it but no luck,

1 hour ago, Goonerlad4 said:

Just dry rock with live sand has gone in, is food not enough to get it going 

Food unfortunately can work but its less accurate and more waste.

Its easier to use Dr Tims ammonia and biospira. With the Dr tims, you can accurately dose to 2ppm ammonia and let it process.

Food its a guessing game

11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Its easier to use Dr Tims ammonia and biospira. With the Dr tims, you can accurately dose to 2ppm ammonia and let it process.

Food its a guessing game

Just ordered Dr Tim’s hopefully that does the trick, thanks for your advice

• Like 1
On 9/3/2020 at 10:58 PM, Clown79 said:

Food its a guessing game

Ok so I have followed Dr Tim’s instructions over the last few days and am now getting a high reading of ammonia, do I need to add any bacteria or will the live sand produce this? 

3 minutes ago, Goonerlad4 said:

Ok so I have followed Dr Tim’s instructions over the last few days and am now getting a high reading of ammonia, do I need to add any bacteria or will the live sand produce this? 

Most add biospira because it really helps. Livesand is debatable and questioned by many- how live is it really?

How high is the ammonia? Anything over 5ppm can stall a cycle.

41 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Most add biospira because it really helps. Livesand is debatable and questioned by many- how live is it really?

Ammonia is sitting at 3ppm for last two days

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Will it still cycle without adding biospira?