inTank Media Baskets

Need recommendations: Pico ATO WITH REDUNDANCY

chaostactics

Have a Fluval 5 gallon nano/pico and it's going to be put on a desk near electronics so absolutely no over flows are acceptableHave a Fluval 5 gallon nano/pico and it's going to be put on a desk near electronics so absolutely no over flows are acceptable. . 

I'm looking for

-tiny

-redundancy/reliable

-reasonably priced

I've been considering the IM Titanium

I've been using IM Aqua Gadget Titanium HydroFill for the last few years on my desktop tank and it's been great. You do need to keep the rare earth sensors clean though, but that goes for any ATO sensor. Never had an issue with overflows. Their accompanying pump is a total rip-off though, I just use an AquaLifter.

You're not going to find much redundancy with a single ATO unit, but you could throw a float switch on the pump or make use of a controller in tandem with something else.

44 minutes ago, Break said:

I've been using IM Aqua Gadget Titanium HydroFill for the last few years on my desktop tank and it's been great. You do need to keep the rare earth sensors clean though, but that goes for any ATO sensor. Never had an issue with overflows. Their accompanying pump is a total rip-off though, I just use an AquaLifter.

You're not going to find much redundancy with a single ATO unit, but you could throw a float switch on the pump or make use of a controller in tandem with something else.

The Ti has some sort of timer redundancy or is that the JBJ one?

2 hours ago, chaostactics said:

The Ti has some sort of timer redundancy or is that the JBJ one?

It does not have an alarm or a time-out. I know the Hydor Smart Level and Smart ATO Micro both have alarms, pretty sure neither has a time-out. The Smart ATO Micro also has a siphon break now. No idea about the JBJ as it was too big of an option for my pico. If you want redundancy you will need an ATO with multiple sensors like the Ultimate ATO or additional equipment of some kind (controller, float switch, timer switch, siphon break etc).

I got a Prism Auto Top Off, it’s an optical sensor. It has a Stop Point that rapidly shuts the pump off, and it has a Safety above that. Look it up on YouTube “Prism ATO.”  BTW I would use a non-metallic wire tie on the Hose Clip, to hold it tight against the hose. 

• Like 2
On 9/3/2020 at 2:23 PM, DSA65PRO said:

I got a Prism Auto Top Off, it’s an optical sensor. It has a Stop Point that rapidly shuts the pump off, and it has a Safety above that. Look it up on YouTube “Prism ATO.”  BTW I would use a non-metallic wire tie on the Hose Clip, to hold it tight against the hose. 

Price is really reasonable. I just wish it had an additional time out safety too for run dry protection like the duetto

2-1/2 Gallons last me at least a week on my total volume of 66 Gallons. I do have a glass top, half my Sump is partially covered, other half is not. If I was to go out of town longer, I would either overfill, reducing the Salinity or use a bigger ATO Source. With 2-1/2 Gallons if something gets stuck, and all the Water is pumped in its not going to crash my tank. The pump is a fairly common fountain pump, if it burns up, it is easily replaceable. 

5 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

2-1/2 Gallons last me at least a week on my total volume of 66 Gallons. I do have a glass top, half my Sump is partially covered, other half is not. If I was to go out of town longer, I would either overfill, reducing the Salinity or use a bigger ATO Source. With 2-1/2 Gallons if something gets stuck, and all the Water is pumped in its not going to crash my tank. The pump is a fairly common fountain pump, if it burns up, it is easily replaceable. 

Tank I have is 5 gallons. Anything much over a liter or so would probably be a disaster

On 9/2/2020 at 6:14 PM, chaostactics said:

Have a Fluval 5 gallon nano/pico and it's going to be put on a desk near electronics so absolutely no over flows are acceptableHave a Fluval 5 gallon nano/pico and it's going to be put on a desk near electronics so absolutely no over flows are acceptable. . 

I'm looking for

-tiny

-redundancy/reliable

-reasonably priced

I've been considering the IM Titanium

I'd say you're looking in the wrong direction for your assurance.

Find out how much water your tank will hold "above full".  Your ATO must not hold more water than this.  Disaster is then impossible.  The worst case scenario has your tank filled to the brim, but not even a salinity problem, let alone a flood.

Use your favorite ATO.  Just keep the deployment simple and smart!  😃

Ultralife and Tunze are probably my favorites...but the similar kits from Aquahub are very nice as well.  (All are based on the magnetic "reed style" float switch....super reliable, and super sensitive.)

19 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

I'd say you're looking in the wrong direction for your assurance.

Find out how much water your tank will hold "above full".  Your ATO must not hold more water than this.  Disaster is then impossible.  The worst case scenario has your tank filled to the brim, but not even a salinity problem, let alone a flood.

Use your favorite ATO.  Just keep the deployment simple and smart!  😃

Ultralife and Tunze are probably my favorites...but the similar kits from Aquahub are very nice as well.  (All are based on the magnetic "reed style" float switch....super reliable, and super sensitive.)

Normally an excellent suggestions but when it's a 5 gallon pico and the most amount of water it can take on before overflowing is maybe half a liter the same wisdom doesn't hold. 

On 9/2/2020 at 6:14 PM, chaostactics said:

it's going to be put on a desk near electronics so absolutely no over flows are acceptableHave a Fluval 5 gallon nano/pico and it's going to be put on a desk near electronics so absolutely no over flows are acceptable.

Your requirements say it does hold....or you take on more risk than you claim is acceptable.  Your choice.  😉

But seriously, cover the tank and that reservoir volume will cover more time than you think.  (It's between 1/3 and 1/2 gallon based on your guess of .5 inches....proportional for the size tank if you ask me.  My 125 Gallon only has a 4 gallon res.)

If you think it's worthwhile, consider lowering the "full" level of the tank a little to allow more "overhead" space – and calculate the actual space there, don't make a guess!!!

I wouldn't use a larger reservoir....asking for trouble...a question of "when" not "if".