ReefCleaners.org

Vibrant algae killer

dling

Has any of you used this stuff ? I got some for a try at killing something that

I have been fighting for a while. My question is do you run the skimmer or not while dosing ?

I used it years ago for bryopsis. It worked! I don't have a skimmer so wasn't a question for me, but if I recall you are suppose to take it off line as the die off will be too much for most skimmers to handle. But wait for others with a skimmer to chime in cuz 🤷‍♀️

I started using it in my 3gal and 16gal tanks weekly at the recommended dosage volume about 6 months ago and have seen a really big reduction in algae.  It took out the film algae on the glass and back wall over the course of about 2 months, the hair algae and bubble algae took about 4 months.  I tried leaving my chaeto refugium in my 16gal running at the start but it was clear on the first couple doses that it was killing the chaeto so I took that section of the refugium down.  I slowed down to using the recommended dosage volume about every 2-3 weeks at about the 4 month mark for maintenance and am really happy with the results of the treatment overall.

• Like 1
On 9/1/2020 at 7:43 AM, dling said:

Has any of you used this stuff ? I got some for a try at killing something that

I have been fighting for a while. My question is do you run the skimmer or not while dosing ?

Keep it going...remove the cup if it overflows.

It's possible to suffocate your fish with vibrant.

On 9/1/2020 at 8:43 AM, dling said:

I got some for a try at killing something that

I have been fighting for a while.

I guess it's off-topic from the thread so I'm fine if you aren't interested or whatever, but I'm curious what algae and what you've tried so far before this?

Im not positive on the type of algae it is. I cut back on feeding and have doubled

the amount of water I change out weekly .I also add more snails and crabs for cuc.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dling said:

Im not positive on the type of algae it is. I cut back on feeding and have doubled

the amount of water I change out weekly .I also add more snails and crabs for cuc.

Starvation isn't a good strategy for getting rid of algae.  

The best case scenario will be that you'd swap one algae for another type of algae that prefers/thrives in lower-nutrient conditions.  Dino's are a pretty common "second algae" in that circumstance.  Cyano too.

CUC is not an answer for any algae that has grown long and gotten established.  They have tiny mouths without teeth, so all they can handle is algae nubbins.  

You have to rip out the long algae by hand.  Then the CUC will keep it clean.  (If they don't, it just means you need to clean again and add a few more.)

Like this (watch the whole vid!):