Top Shelf Aquatics

Beginner - Help!

Moshizzl3

Hi fellow reefers!

So i have bought and set up my new tank! and i am very excited!

I bought some live sand and put in there last week, and filled the tank.

After careful consideration, I decided to add more sand, but of a different kind.

I accidentally put in the sand without washing it. It is "Fiji white sand", says it's 100% natural, but it also says rinse carefully. Did I just ruin my tank and need to start over?

Also, my skimmer was going crazy for a day when I set up the tank, just pumping out massive amounts of water into the cup, then suddenly it settled and was doing fine, after I added more sand, t's gone crazy again - why is that? Is that normal behavior or am I doing something wrong. It's a built in skimmer, msk 600 from red sea.

Thanks in advance ❤️

The skimmer is likely picking up a lot of the fine particulate in the water, hence why it's going a tad crazy 😋. If the water is still cloudy, you should turn it off for now since you can always turn it on later when everything is settled down.

You haven't ruined the tank, just added more time to how long it will take for the everything to clear up. I've heard similar situations (usually fine sands notorious for needing to be rinsed thoroughly) where it can take upwards of a week for the cloudiness to resolve itself, so don't fret too much if it still hasn't cleared up in a day or two.

What brand/source is the Fiji white sand from? Dry/wet?

Do you have any mechanical filtration (filter sock, filter floss, etc.) already setup on the tank?

12 hours ago, Leoito said:

The skimmer is likely picking up a lot of the fine particulate in the water, hence why it's going a tad crazy 😋. If the water is still cloudy, you should turn it off for now since you can always turn it on later when everything is settled down.

You haven't ruined the tank, just added more time to how long it will take for the everything to clear up. I've heard similar situations (usually fine sands notorious for needing to be rinsed thoroughly) where it can take upwards of a week for the cloudiness to resolve itself, so don't fret too much if it still hasn't cleared up in a day or two.

What brand/source is the Fiji white sand from? Dry/wet?

Do you have any mechanical filtration (filter sock, filter floss, etc.) already setup on the tank?

Hey man!

Thanks for the reply, it's already clearing up, it looked nice this morning.

I am using ATI fiji white sand, dry. I also have another kind of sand, that was wet beneath it so i can get a cool mix of colors. (or that's the plan :P)

I have a filter sponge, placed just above the return pump (manual said there is where it goes).

I have a media rack i haven't filled up yet. But it came with a Carbon bag, which i will use once my cycle is done, as i understand it from varius vidoes on youtube it's best to wait with the carbon until i introduce the first fish.

This is my "Sump":

image.png.cdd37a93273cfb6d117565d33f968ab0.png

• Like 1

That's an interesting filtration system, or I guess I'm just used to the seeing the mechanical filtration closer to where water is coming in 😉.

The carbon might be useful for clearing up the water to start, but in the long-term it'd probably be safer to go with an organics absorber (such as Purigen and/or PhosGuard) and save the carbon for something in particular (removing a medicine from the water for example).

41 minutes ago, Leoito said:

That's an interesting filtration system, or I guess I'm just used to the seeing the mechanical filtration closer to where water is coming in 😉.

The carbon might be useful for clearing up the water to start, but in the long-term it'd probably be safer to go with an organics absorber (such as Purigen and/or PhosGuard) and save the carbon for something in particular (removing a medicine from the water for example).

Carbon helps reduce toxins from corals so using a small amount regularly and changing it frequently is ok. 

Phosguard and purigen should only be used as needed not regularly

• Like 1

Good to know; I suppose if the tank has been up for awhile and/or there's another form of nutrient removal (refugium, coral growth, etc.) it really isn't beneficial. 

Might actually consider using some activated carbon in the future since I have so much laying around unused 😅.

"Commonly used in reef tanks, activated carbon is great for a whole variety of reasons, ranging for removal of general contaminants, dissolved organics, undesirable odors, yellowing pigments in the water, removing the build-up of toxins that corals and algae emit to fight each other, and much more."

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/activated-carbon-for-reef-tanks 

19 hours ago, Leoito said:

Yo man!

Just an update, i has completely cleared up and is very clear now!

Skimmer is doing good again 😛

image0.thumb.jpeg.53b6827c457893dfaabe550ab5595fce.jpeg

• Like 1