Cultivated Reef

Evo sea 5 My covid 19 stay at home project.

MarieH

Good news and bad news.  I lost my scarlet hermit, he was a big one, I noticed him slow down a few days ago, and he stayed in one place a couple days, then started roaming again. I found him yesterday outside his shell.  

On a positive not, my ycg has started eating frozen that I scrape off with a finger nail.  I'll try crushed flake later on.  He's sssoo small. 

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, Fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty, Fernando
Though I never thought that we could lose
There's no regret
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, Fernando    💔     (ABBA,lol)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I was wondering if that was the case. It happens to me still get fooled some times when the molt is perfect.

I didn't think of it. I just saw a perfect red crab and used a long handle tweezer to pick it out. But it's true the body was hollow. Cool critters.

• Like 2

This has been so much fun getting back into the hobby in a small way. I was bad and pulled the plug on a discontinued model  28 gallon cfl jbj nano cube, tank and stand. I don't care about the hood, I will replace it anyway.  I had been looking at 32 gallon biocubes, but for less than the biocube cost I will receive the tank and stand and free shipping. Now hoping it gets here in one piece. Fingers crossed. compact  fluorescent  lol those were the days my friends,

• Like 1

Well, the fish that got away. The seller refunded my payment, due to the tank being smashed and can't fulfill my order.  I guess I'll wait until Black Friday or post Christmas sales.  Wahhh!

• Sad 3
  • 2 weeks later...

things are well, diatoms are about finished and coraline looks to be starting up now, so I expect I'll need to start testing calcium and alk,  I think water changes are enough though weekly, since the hard corals are still frag size.  I'm getting a stand simple built for my new tank, a 20 gallon IM pro :)  (future).  

Tiny goby has no fear now, its so cool to feed from my fingers, enjoying this tank and its simple care,.   I recommend to anyone, even the stock light for most coral, would do  well for  a macroalgae tank too.

I am running the spectra v2, at 60 percent blue, 40 purple, 6 white, nice for the color on cyphastreas pop. 

• Like 2

Crisis averted. I woke up to the tank looking a little low so I topped off. Later when I went to feed, I put my hand into a puddle of water on the desktop.  Yep, a leak from the lower edge above the black rim, so it was coming from a bottom seam.   Luckily I had closed down my spec V 5 gallon planted a week ago.  So crazy cleaning and buckets later, I transferred everything into the spec v.  Its an old tank, a few scratches but it has held water reliable for at least 5 years.  So, trying to see if the warranty will apply as the new tank is new since August 4 th....

Added some macrobacter xl, and everything seems ok, now that the dust has settled.  

On a funny note, my ycg was inside the rock and I just picked it up and put it in a bucket and later back into the tank, easy peasy.  Small tank leak, less panic, so the advantage of pico...shines again.

8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Sorry about the leak but great that you caught it when you did. Having a usable empty tank was just terrific. Beats having to use a bucket or a tote.

Yes. It worked out.  I thanked the gods of the water hobby👍 

• Like 2

After some emailing around Fluval/Hagen refused to warranty the tank. They claim it should of leaked upon set up if defective and not 2 months in...dunno.  Anyway Yay REEF SUPPLIES, after hearing the story immediately sent a whole new kit.   Anyway, I will keep it as back up in case my old spec V fails.  I don't feel like transferring it all over again.  I might look at resealing the old/new tank and see if I can salvage it and give it away or put it up as free to good home to whomever wants to fix it.   Lucky things alll survived the move.  Grateful.

• Like 1

A couple of issues: Clown goby likes to perch on cyphastrea and harass it, I think I saw him nip at the polyps, and some of them look  bit unhappy.  My hermit crab has scraped some skin off in a small area but its coming back.  I started feeding more and they seem to be more laid back now.  No crabs in my next tank, I think. I'm just doing blue lights and relying on ambient window light for the white,  Will see...

• 4 weeks later...

Update:  I had some green algae and yellow water, and the tank was not looking well for a couple weeks. The corals not looking so well and my mummy eye chalice tissue receding,  I added chemipure blue (overdose) and things looked worse. I am not testing for anything but I figured my nitrates and phosphates were high.  I water changed a few days early than scheduled for a couple weeks.  Things weren't much better.   Finally I  started dosing an ml. of two little fishies amino acids once a week, (probably not needed).   Finally, I started reading up on the phosphate resin removers....hmmm maybe its too much stripping power for the little tank?  So, I took it out, and did a water change after a couple days.   The tank looks much better as of today, more color, and I think the mummy eye will pull through.   I'm not sure if it was the chemipure but I think so. Tanks go through so many chemical changes but since I'm not testing, I won't add any resins, and let the rock filtration  do its work.  Sally forth.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Nothing to report, just a check in to wish all a happy celebration,, whatever you celebrate this time of year.  Best wishes, and and a happy New Year! Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Doing ok. Thanks  My gorgonian are shedding so a bit closed this morning. The cyphastrea doing ok.  I think my mummy eyed chalice might be turning around.  6 month mark.

IMG_20210210_085145_17.jpg

IMG_20210210_084634_70.jpg

IMG_20210210_085228_90.jpg

• Like 2