SaltCritters.com

Evo sea 5 My covid 19 stay at home project.

MarieH

The cyphastrea and chalice adventure begins.  One month old.  3 pounds of Carib sea base rock seeded with Aquamarine Canada copepods.  One  purple frilly gorgonian. One Bizarro cyphastrea frag.   Stock light.   All is well.  I may have a goby pistol pair in a week or so from Raging Reef Montreal.  

117608628_1004846836602206_3235904806435631509_n(1).jpg

• Like 3

Today, I added a red leg hermit and 2 cerith snails, 2 bumble bee snails and a  High Fin Goby, promptly hiding... No pistol available at this time. I'm not sure I want one now, must rethink.

MVIMG_20200902_171945.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

And some corals?

I have a cyphastrea there and a diatom bloom so I'm waiting that out right now. I want to let the little goby settle in before my big hands get in there too.   Budget limitations as well 🙄

• Like 1

Today I added a small bag of chemipure blue,   Fernando the hermit switched shells so I took the opportunity to scrape off some coralline algae.  Goby has not been seen since addition, ...lucky there are pods galore. I will look for some frozen mysis today.   I forgot about base rock and the silicates,  Oh well, of time and the river :)

• Like 3

Oh woe is me. I believe my little highfin goby has perished.  I lifted the rocks and looked under out if desperation.  There was no response to mysis fed to the tank.  It's the fifth day of no sighting.  I looked behind the tank furniture but see nothing.  There is a large hole in the rock near the top where I let him go but I'm not very hopeful.  Sometimes this hobby #$*"^=¥

• Sad 4

RIP little fellow.  I decided on no fish for this tank.  I made it a divider on my dresser by turning it peninsula style.  Three sided viewing.  Good news is the diatom phase looks almost over and there are lots of pods.  The snails and crab are well and my gorgonian has shed and always looks amazing, but I think it might outgrow very soon.  I was sent a very generous piece, when I thought it would be a small 3 inch frag.  I'm waiting for some plastic isolation board to diy a media rack.   I have the biomax bag in there and a bag of seachem matrix and a small bag of chemipure blue. in the filter part for now.  I am liking the stock light, its really not bad at all.  

• Like 2

No I didn't find jumper but see nothing . I wonder if he went into a hole and passed away...first time I ever had an MIA. ...sigh $48.00 fish too , kick myself.

Here's a couple of progress photos.  I added a clam shell from a trip to Cape Cod a few years back 2012

MVIMG_20200911_100136.jpg

MVIMG_20200911_100516.jpg

• Like 6

I like the clam 🙂 Greenbanded gobies are super entertaining and hardy if you ever decide to add a fish again. You would need to attach some sort of net over the opening in the middle though, they are jumpy.

4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I like the clam 🙂 Greenbanded gobies are super entertaining and hardy if you ever decide to add a fish again. You would need to attach some sort of net over the opening in the middle though, they are jumpy.

Yes. That's the issue....hole.  I can't figure why they did that ...it's hard to find fish here.  I was lucky to find a high fin.   But maybe a clown or green banded might be in the cards. Thanks.

• Like 1

I have located a yellow clown goby , some cyphastrea meteor shower, a mummy eyed chalice, and a couple zoa, on the way from Fragbox, in Toronto.     Since I am not going the pistol shrimp route, I can rescape the rock before everything gets here.   I wanted the rock higher because of the stocjk light, my cyphastrea piece is doing ok on a rock low in front.  Its cool that cyphastrea doesn't color shift in lower light, its also cool if it grows slower under lower light lol.  I really don't want to invest more in this little tank, as far as buying a new light unless I have to.   I want to maybe start a bigger project later on. 

i love how cyphastrea looks when it encrusts bumpy rock.  Fun experiment anyway,  Its fun to be back salty in a small way as well. Happy Sunday.

i

• Like 2

Yellow clown gobies are awesome. I got one a few months back and do not regret it.. 

After a few weeks of hiding he come up to the surface every single time I get close to the tank. Always looking for some fast food.  Brilliant fish and very entertaining 👍

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Grimes said:

Yellow clown gobies are awesome. I got one a few months back and do not regret it.. 

After a few weeks of hiding he come up to the surface every single time I get close to the tank. Always looking for some fast food.  Brilliant fish and very entertaining 👍

My 'Splash'' the second lol   

i had one a year ago, in a spec v, he ate from my fingers. After he passed I took down the tank,  so personable, cheers!!!  I also bought some dragons breath macro, its a great hiding place for little guys.

i

• Like 2

Everything is in the tank.  Littlest goby I ever saw, captive bred, I even thought I received an empty bag.  The water was quite cool on unboxing, I figured in the low 70s.  I was afraid so I just floated the goby and dripped him for a short time. Salinity in the bag was equal to mine.  I released him lights out and he went straight to pod hunting.   The corals are looking ok. I left them on the sand bed.  I turned pumps and light back on and the goby has hidden under the macro as I though he would.  So I'm letting them all chill  for a day or 2.  Pics soon. 🙏😊👍

• Like 3

Spot the little yellow face. :)  Everything seems ok,except for the purple monster zoa frag looks upset.  It came unglued while I was cutting off the frag stem, and I glued it back on.  Hopefully it comes around .

MVIMG_20200918_122659-01.thumb.jpeg.969b04b5c7023f568f574f0d8b3fc149.jpeg

MVIMG_20200918_122027.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Update:  I believe I found the corpse of my high fin goby behind my dresser yesterday.  So I know what happened. I suspect he jumped shortly after being added to the tank, most likely that same day or early morning. RIP.  If I had bought him with a shrimp, they would have remained at the bottom, lesson there....

Good news is the little yellow goby is getting bolder every day.  I was gifted a new light for the tank, a spectra v2.   It makes the cyphastreas look a lot more colorful, although things were growing under the stock lamp.  I have a fresh water spec V, tank over there....planted with one galaxy rasbora in it, so when he passes it can be a hospital or isolation tank since I have the fluval led..

Anyway..IMG_20200925_101228_exported_199_1601043185493.thumb.jpg.336bc2b08c31ab795dead6d82281baf1.jpgMVIMG_20200925_100824.thumb.jpg.cdb66fb8126a0340386af3c3a38eac35.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1