ReefCleaners.org

Shallow UNS 60S

Grossie

FTS 8/30/2020

HvZknNE.jpg

Equipment

• Display UNS 60S (24"x14"x7, 10 gallon)
  • Lighting Hydra 32 HD
  • Filter/Heater : OASE FiltoSmart Thermo 100 (filter floss, carbon, Marine Pure Biofilter Media Gems)
  • Circulation : Hygger Mini Wave Maker 1600 gph

Fish

• SA Ocelaris
  • SA Ocelaris black

Inverts

• 1 Turbo Snail
  • 1 Nassarius Snail

LPS

• Frogspawn
  • Duncan
  • Torch

Sofies

• GSP
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Watermelon Zoas
  • Green Zoas
  • Orange Riccordia

Manually dosing Tropic Marin All-For-Reef, Red Sea Reef Energy Plus.

50% water change once per week

• Like 2

Originally got this tank as a planted "pond style" tank.  Hated the messy look of it, so I took it down.  Stared this tank as a quarentine project.  I had a 18 gallon reef with sump from 2012-2016, and I'm excited to get back into the hobby!  Crazy how much coral prices have increased since then though.

Filled aquarium in June.  Somehow managed to overdose ammonia, so the cycle took 8 weeks.  Had to do a few large water changes to get an ammonia reading that wasn't off the charts.

My nitrates are a little high still as a result of the cycle.  Phosphates are zero though.  Just finally getting a very small ammount of diatom algae almost a month after the cycle finished.  The clownfish have just been added, so I plan on feeding heavy to get at least some phosphates in.

Future plans to add:

• variety of Euphelia 
  • rock flower annenomes to right side
  • some encrusting coral to waterline of big sock strucure?
  • airplants to dry part of rock, maybe some mangroves
  • I'd like to cover the front right part of big rock structure in zoas
  • some sps sticks on rear of the big rock structure to add some height?

ZUXvqFY.jpg

CrQTvzT.jpg

a2UcNmk.jpg

• Like 2

I'm very satisfied with it.  This build started as a budget build, so I took a chance on the Hygger.  I think it is great value for $70.

Even with it positioned in the back corner, I was able to get a really nice wave going on classic mode at 60% power.  I actually had to turn it down, as it seemed like it was too much movement for my corals.

The interface is pretty bad and takes a bit to figure out.

You can't set a range for the random mode, so it can be anywhere from 0 to 100%.  I have random set for my sunrise and sunset, but the corals seem to like it so I might try random for the main daylight mode.

You also can't change the 5 time periods.  I just set my time 5 hours behind, so that the "sunrise" time period starts at 10am, when my lights begin their ramp up.

I've had my hair get stuck in it twice causing it to stop.  It was very easy to take apart, clean, and put back together.  Now I'm a little more careful to pull my hair up when I'm near the tank.

My only other experience with wavemakers was an mp10 on my old build.  The hygger seems like incredible value compared to it at <25% of the price.  I just hope it lasts long!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Grossie said:

I'm very satisfied with it.  This build started as a budget build, so I took a chance on the Hygger.  I think it is great value for $70.

Even with it positioned in the back corner, I was able to get a really nice wave going on classic mode at 60% power.  I actually had to turn it down, as it seemed like it was too much movement for my corals.

The interface is pretty bad and takes a bit to figure out.

You can't set a range for the random mode, so it can be anywhere from 0 to 100%.  I have random set for my sunrise and sunset, but the corals seem to like it so I might try random for the main daylight mode.

You also can't change the 5 time periods.  I just set my time 5 hours behind, so that the "sunrise" time period starts at 10am, when my lights begin their ramp up.

I've had my hair get stuck in it twice causing it to stop.  It was very easy to take apart, clean, and put back together.  Now I'm a little more careful to pull my hair up when I'm near the tank.

My only other experience with wavemakers was an mp10 on my old build.  The hygger seems like incredible value compared to it at <25% of the price.  I just hope it lasts long!

Good to know thank you very much. I've been a loyal Jebao fan. But I've now had 2 fail in 3 months. So I'm moving on from them. Just ordered the Hygger mini for my biocube 16. We shall see how it goes! Thank you for your input

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

9uXHRep.jpeg

ge9b5dm.jpeg

sxjsBTG.jpeg

RsX7I27.jpg

vLLP2pT.jpg (2112×4608)

Picked up some acans and a blasto.

Hitting the "ugly face" with diatoms.

Still fighting high nitrates, and zero phosphates.  They were at 60 ppm after a 50% water change yesterday.  Did another 50% today.

I've been dosing phosphate, but the tank/algae seem to absorb it right away.

I received a proper clean up crew from reef cleaners yesterday.  Hopefully that will help.

Mangroves will likely stay in long term.  I ordered some flame algae, which they replaced with this brush algae.  The brush algae seems to no be doing so great?

I've been lightly feeding the fish pellets, and feeding AB+ just .5ml every other day.  Honestly not sure how my nitrates can be that high.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...