Top Shelf Aquatics

Brown jelly disease

Remus

hi jus checking anyone experience enough to have stop brown jelly before. I try coral rx pro dip and cut away the head but it still spreading. I have a ducan with me more than a year from 5 heads to 20 heads watching it go down it very disheartening. And i notice some small heads still growing but the jelly us spreading faster than the head. Currently all the corals are fine except Duncan and one acan affected. Both very handy with me very long time at least a year.

I had this Brown Stringy stuff that was getting on my Corals. My Xenia or Waving Hand Disappeared and my Red Georgonian Coral, Pineapple Coral all died. My Sun Carol was damaged, but it is going to survive. I tried Hydrogen Peroxide and it did nothing. I started hitting it with a Turkey Baster Four times a day and netting the  Gelatinous Mess, changing by Filter elements out daily, uppping my Skimmer output. Also I started moving my power heads around. I still have a tiny bit on the gravel in two places. I have been able to back off on the Turkey Baster, and Filter changes. I plan on upping my flow. BTW Massive water changes did nothing, seemed to make it worse.For the Turkey Baster, I went to the Hardware and got a plastic hose clamp, so I could get more force behind my blasting with it.  

Best you can do for brown jelly is directly blast the stuff off the coral and catch it so it doesn't get on your other corals. Iodine dips may help. A coral that's heavily infected may be best to remove from the tank so it doesn't infect the rest. 

• Like 1

You may have more luck with an antibacterial against BJD, like Dettol, otherwise careful removal to protect the rest of the reef inhabitants is best with severe cases as it's highly-contagious and not limited to struggling or unhealthy colonies. If you have a smaller QT tank you could try to win the fight there, otherwise it sounds like you may be best served cutting away one or two clean heads, heavily rinsing and disinfecting, and then hoping for the best after reintroducing them.