Top Shelf Aquatics

Decision on All in One

dzones

Hey Everyone.

I have been out of the hobby for a while and am ready to come back in again!

I noticed there are several All in One solutions out there now and was curious what people recommend for something in a 20 gallon size. I could go slightly smaller but around the 20ish range is preferred.

Also for units that may not come with a light, what light recommendation would you make based on your own experiences?

I am NOT operating on a strict budget but also don't wanna go crazy and take out a loan for it lol.

Thanks in advance!!

It's probably good to have a budget even if you don't need to have a budget....maybe even especially if you don't need to have one.  LOL

A Biocube is nice for simplicity.  

But I'd suggest getting a plain old tank the size you want and adding a Tunze Reefpack.  Either a model 100 or 250 for a tank that size.

image.png.6ef3e9a8ca4d9efa71e2df98ddecdc90.png

What does your local store carry?

46 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

It's probably good to have a budget even if you don't need to have a budget....maybe even especially if you don't need to have one.  LOL

A Biocube is nice for simplicity.  

But I'd suggest getting a plain old tank the size you want and adding a Tunze Reefpack.  Either a model 100 or 250 for a tank that size.

image.png.6ef3e9a8ca4d9efa71e2df98ddecdc90.png

What does your local store carry?

Thanks for the great info!

I will check out the tunze reefpack, have not heard of that before.

I used to have a Biocube and while they are kinda nice I don't think I would be satisfied with the lighting.

Sadly we don't have an LFS anymore. I would have to travel a lot further than I am able to unfortunately so everything is going to have to be online.

27 minutes ago, Biglex said:

I have a super nice Im 14 gallon peninsula in Houston  Tx 

I was not aware IM made a 14 gallon Peninsula. I will look into it, Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Nuvo or Water Box for AIO and you'll be set. They don't break the budget either. 

Awesome thanks for the info. I will check them both out.

Has anyone had any experience with the Cobalt C-Vue series? They seemed to have a nice build quality but I was unable to find many people having one and they seem sold out. I am reluctant since there is very little chatter about them

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info so far 🙂

9 hours ago, spectra said:

IM20 for the win.............loved mine and its what got me back into the hobby...............love the IM tanks..............

Thanks! Looking into the IM tanks today

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Innovative marine 20g or 25 lagoon, excellent tanks.

1 Ai Prime Hd will do unless you plan on an sps dominant tank.

Thanks! I started looking at the IM tanks. They are for sure nice looking setups. I have not seen a 25 lagoon anywhere in stock though.

AI Prime HD seems to be the most popular one for sure.

1 hour ago, dzones said:

Thanks! I started looking at the IM tanks. They are for sure nice looking setups. I have not seen a 25 lagoon anywhere in stock though.

The lagoons i find are often out of stock. 

Well after quite a bit of research I have to say I don't think I am going to be happy with the IM setup. They do make a beautiful tank but the back compartments are just so dang narrow in depth. That 2.8 depth is kinda brutal and from reading around different places, it is the biggest complaint. I am now for sure leaning towards the Coral C-Vue 18g that I stumbled across.

The C-Vue 18 has a back compartment depth of 4.75 inches allowing several options for skimmers and other possible equipment. Same low iron 6mm glass and I do like the 45 degree angle corners that allows for more strength. It also can be drilled on the bottom and back for those who may want to add a sump. I cannot see me doing that but at least it is an option. Also it has the same dual overflow setup as the IM fusion pro series.

I was heavily leaning towards the IM line based on the opinions here but I just know I would not be happy with that small back compartment area. 

Thanks for everyone who chimed in. I appreciate the insights.

• Like 1
jimwalton680
23 hours ago, dzones said:

Thanks! I started looking at the IM tanks. They are for sure nice looking setups light glasses. I have not seen a 25 lagoon anywhere at cyberpunk  in stock though.

Thanks a lot.Really helpful!

• 2 weeks later...