ReefCleaners.org

HELP! Return Pump Section of Sump Keeps Getting Too Low on Water

CSKirk

I have a 90 gallon FOWLR aquarium that I am setting up again (after it being stored for the past 8 years). No fish yet since I'm setting up and cycling my tank. The first time around a professional set it up and it worked great. This time, I set it up on my own with a Triton Refugium Sump. It all seemed to be working well for the first couple of weeks. Now, I'll wake up to air spitting out into the tank because the return pump section is low on water. I have added water each time this happens and it fixes it for a day. I don't want to add too much water and end up flooding m house at some point. Does anyone have experience with this and/or can tell me how to fix this problem? 

1 hour ago, CSKirk said:

I have a 90 gallon FOWLR aquarium that I am setting up again (after it being stored for the past 8 years). No fish yet since I'm setting up and cycling my tank. The first time around a professional set it up and it worked great. This time, I set it up on my own with a Triton Refugium Sump. It all seemed to be working well for the first couple of weeks. Now, I'll wake up to air spitting out into the tank because the return pump section is low on water. I have added water each time this happens and it fixes it for a day. I don't want to add too much water and end up flooding m house at some point. Does anyone have experience with this and/or can tell me how to fix this problem? 

You need to top off with fresh water as it will evaporate. Salt does not so top off with RODI or distilled. Should be done daily...an auto top off is a nice convenience.

Also as the pipes 'slime up' with bacteria...the flow down them will change a bit so sometimes it needs a little adjusting depending the type of overflow.

Your Skimmer should determine the Water Level in your Sump. To keep from Flooding, you need Vacuum Breaks in ALL your Plumbing lines to and From your tank. See Picture. I have a Prism ATO, Made by Reef Breeders, it is a new addition, but I am happy with it. People will tell you to put Check Valves in, unless you remove them and clean them every few weeks, or they will fail due to the Growth on them. Also they are a Restriction on your Pump. Also I recommend drilling a small hole above your power out Water line in your Sump, in the line that comes off your pump. Drill it small enough, that you can Force fit an Air Line Elbow pointing down to your water level. Tip; you can drill the hole higher, and put a piece of Silicone Air Line to just above your Power out Water line. 

B2E065CB-E9ED-4487-9E20-D318AC064476.jpeg

AD35CEC6-C152-4A3B-89FB-7057BCB00E36.png