Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Had clouds of either mysid shrimp or larval hermits in the water column late last night, was pretty interesting to watch them follow the flashlight around, next-to-impossible to catch them on video though.

• Like 3

Brook, the female was essentially dead this AM. 

This disabled monkey had to carry 8 jugs of distilled water back from the store, female perc didn't make it after her 8x rid-ich bath, the male's going in soon and looks better so I'm hopeful.

Could just be all the albuterol and dexamethasone talking, no formalin proper or rally to be found right now and I don't have a vehicle anyway - well below the max dose of methylene blue from my understanding at least - not ideal...

• Sad 1

The occy looks pretty rough this morning, still white patches of mucus but that doesn't necessarily mean parasites made it through the dip from my understanding.

Sitting in normal concentration of Rid-Ich Plus and metroplex, going to be dosing Rid-Ich every 12 hours and Metro every 48, may do a freshwater dip after 36/48 if he looks up to it.
He has visible sores now so more Formalin dips are out of the question.

Feel awful, but things happened overnight, the perc was eating and acting normal the afternoon before, then in the morning was covered and barely-able to swim. One of them must have been a carrier, might explain why she was never "normal" in her behavior, but that's just empty-conjecture at this point.

One last tag @Humblefish, my understanding is that the dosage of malachite green for treatment of disease in fish farms was routinely @ 3mg/l until/unless tighter regulations call for lower doses, if the target concentration of malachite green in Rid-Ich Plus is 0.05mg/l, doesn't this imply ramping up the dose (formalin) for a bath (8x dose) shouldn't be an issue?

Or am I missing something? (Probably)

3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

One last tag @Humblefish, my understanding is that the dosage of malachite green for treatment of disease in fish farms was routinely @ 3mg/l until/unless tighter regulations call for lower doses, if the target concentration of malachite green in Rid-Ich Plus is 0.05mg/l, doesn't this imply ramping up the dose (formalin) for a bath (8x dose) shouldn't be an issue?

Or am I missing something? (Probably)

Malachite green has very little proven efficacy for use on SW fish.

If you are seeing visible sores, then the only two bath options would be a 90 min bath using Rally or a 5 min FW dip. However, I would transfer into a clean tank following the bath or dip to prevent reinfection.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Malachite green has very little proven efficacy for use on SW fish.

If you are seeing visible sores, then the only two bath options would be a 90 min bath using Rally or a 5 min FW dip. However, I would transfer into a clean tank following the bath or dip to prevent reinfection.

The sores either developed after the bath, or weren't visible before. But the occy was transferred into a fresh QT with newly-purchased bio media from another local store. 
I went with 8x concentration on rid-ich since I didn't see why malachite green would be harmful at that concentration and wanted the full formalin dose.
The occy is now in the normal rid-ich dose guideline along with metroplex and a bit of peroxide for the fin-damage. 

Would you recommend 24 or 48 hours before another bath, or would it be best to simply observe and wait things out for the 48 hours?
Unfortunately no local stores have formalin in higher-concentration or rally, and of course ordering online means the product will not arrive for quite some time.
I may be able to have rally by tomorrow however (48 hours)

Thank you again for your time, no more tags, sorry about that.

Lost Baron the Occelaris this morning, ate last night, gone this morning. Seems I either caught things late or this was an aggressive strain, hard to believe they could have been carrying this and broken out at any time, thankfully no other fish has shown any signs whatsoever.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

That’s  rough. I hope the other fish stay healthy. 

So far, so good, nothing odd to report with the damselfish, besides her affinity for interior-design, and the basslet is looking great and eating like a pig.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

So far, so good, nothing odd to report with the damselfish, besides her affinity for interior-design, and the basslet is looking great and eating like a pig.

So all the other fish are asymptomatic? If so, I would focus primarily on food soaking vitamins and feeding multiple times per day to boost their immune systems: 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Humblefish said:

So all the other fish are asymptomatic? If so, I would focus primarily on food soaking vitamins and feeding multiple times per day to boost their immune systems: 

They were also in different systems and I was pretty careful not to cross-contaminate.

The JF Halo Montipora is happy for the first time in a few months, no clue why, don't know how long it'll stay that way, but figured I'd share while it's lookin' its' best.

It's still in an impossible area to photograph unfortunately lol...
IMG_20200923_122139_88.thumb.jpg.8ca95977694499de3581af5676e381ab.jpg

The Pachyscepta/Lobo is starting to get red and orange streaks in its' main body instead of just the rim, hopefully that trend continues.

IMG_20200923_122217_10.thumb.jpg.4288db269fd0b7d660d95d85e7a7d99b.jpg

The nepthea is beautiful

IMG_20200923_122252_21.thumb.jpg.884b6ef9bddc9a15b48ec36d236307c1.jpg

And the Ceriths are quite happy still lol, have three or four good-sized baby's scooting about the tank already

IMG_20200923_122344_73.thumb.jpg.a49d6dc519282124d0503c088aa6bbcb.jpg

Bonus extra-blurry shot with a bit more of the red visible.

IMG_20200923_122110_29.jpg

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Tired said:

That lobo looks really nice. I do slightly want to poke it, though, it looks cushy. I imagine lobos prefer not to be poked.

Oddly enough it's less pouty about being prodded than the blasto's or the trumpet.

Oh man, blastos! I have a hard time feeding mine because they freak out if you touch them with the pipette by mistake. Or if I'm feeding the pistol shrimp at a burrow entrance near them, and bump them with the tweezers, they shrink up like I've burned them. So dramatic. They're also my fastest eaters, by far, in terms of how fast they get the food actually into their guts. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oh man, blastos! I have a hard time feeding mine because they freak out if you touch them with the pipette by mistake. Or if I'm feeding the pistol shrimp at a burrow entrance near them, and bump them with the tweezers, they shrink up like I've burned them. So dramatic. They're also my fastest eaters, by far, in terms of how fast they get the food actually into their guts. 

Only coral with a chance of beating the cleaner shrimp to a pellet in this system lol...

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Tired said:

You could probably sell that stuff pretty easily to get rid of the extra. Nutrient export and cash for you, cool algae for other people. Win-win. 

Eventually, can't sell anything while fallow, the lava flow lepto is probably gettin' the boot too. I like the yellow and red eyes, and it's a fast grower, but my wife just doesn't see the colors in it at all and I'd rather put something there she can enjoy.

What you can't see is the breeder box with another dozen and a half sprigs.

They look like some nice-sized servings. Usually when I see that stuff for sale, it's tiny cuttings. Might have to grab one when you eventually sell 'em! Though that growth rate has me a little skeptical of this stuff in a pico. Do you plan to keep any? 

7 minutes ago, Tired said:

They look like some nice-sized servings. Usually when I see that stuff for sale, it's tiny cuttings. Might have to grab one when you eventually sell 'em! Though that growth rate has me a little skeptical of this stuff in a pico. Do you plan to keep any? 

Oh yeah, love it, I just need less of it. It frags itself by kind of dropping off branches that I have to rescue, they get thrown into the breeder box with lower light and flow until they eventually (much more slowly) grow large enough to be rubberbanded to a rock. That said I started out with a tiny $3 single-branch sometime this spring or last winter, it has been growing well for me and I'm quite thankful for that, best $3 I've spent on this system to date.

Don't know about shipping it out to Texas, not sure I could make it worth your while compared to other outlets for the cost, I'm sure the stuff would do modestly well priority or two-day, but I don't have the steep discount those folks enjoy either lol.

Yeah, fair enough. Live-plants.com has some, but they don't do USPS shipping any more because of delays, just the $30 shipping. Which... given the variety of stuff they have, I might actually be willing to do. For a big order. Cheaper than trying to get hypnea pannosa anywhere else, and a better serving size than anywhere else, too. 

What kind of conditions does it seem to like? It'd make good and vaguely profitable nutrient export, by the looks of the stuff, but I kiiinda don't have much space to put it in. 

19 minutes ago, Tired said:

Yeah, fair enough. Live-plants.com has some, but they don't do USPS shipping any more because of delays, just the $30 shipping. Which... given the variety of stuff they have, I might actually be willing to do. For a big order. Cheaper than trying to get hypnea pannosa anywhere else, and a better serving size than anywhere else, too. 

What kind of conditions does it seem to like? It'd make good and vaguely profitable nutrient export, by the looks of the stuff, but I kiiinda don't have much space to put it in. 

It grows better in higher flow, doesn't mind blue light over white light, but probably grows better in a good balance. It hasn't been temperamental with me, but I have high P04 and decent N03 when I remember to dose.
I don't know if Live-plant's has a hayi with florescent tips, you may want to contact them and ask.