Innovative Marine Aquariums

125g mixed reef

Reefer-begginer

Reefer-begginer

I think its about time I make a journal of my tank and everything going on within it rather than making separate posts about it.

This is my 125g mixed reef tank,( http://imgur.com/gallery/m7jhmoc ) originally made to be a FoWLR Pred tank but after a few attempts at preds and them dying it became a Mixed Reef.

Now what makes this a mixed Reef you ask? Well its all about finding fish that not only are reef safe, but have a toxic/predatory side within them ( i.e angles, butterflys, rabbitfish, tangs etc ).

I had started this tank around 6 months ago and have had no luck with keeping preds alive, but have had no issue keeping butterflys and angels alive with my first ever herbivore fish being a foxface rabbitfish.

My current stocking in the tank is 

1x raccoon butterfly

1x coral beauty angel

1x foxface rabbitfish

1x cleaner shrimp

6x peppermint shrimp 

1x chocolate starfish

Now in regards to my tank issues, the past month I've been dealing with ich within the tank, and now all my fish are in a 14g nuvo QT tank for the next 30 days so the tank just has shrimp in it.

I do feel as my tank doesn't like me with how many fish I've lost over these 4 months of the tank being able to hold fish.

I've lost currently - 2 domino damsels, 3 lionfish( 1 dwarf, 2 voliton ), 1 Snowflake eel, 1 blue sided wrasse, and 2 hippo tangs ( tangs being 2 inches long ).

I had my first Fallow period about 2 months ago due to the losses ( I found out that I had a flesh eating bacteria that affected my lionfish causing their slime coats to fall off and black round sockets around their eyes. )

After that is when I added the shrimps, starfish, angels and butterflys.

Yet a few days ago I lost my emperor angel I had for about 70 days to ich, in which now the other fish are QTd to prevent them from dying on me.

Stay tuned for more updates weekly

Edited by Reefer-begginer
  • Like 1
Reefer-begginer

During this whole outbreak and fish deaths, the current 125g is getting a fowlr period once again ( this time It is a 3 month period, to make sure that everything _bad_ is dead for good within the tank ).

Once that is done, the first fish going in the tank is going to be a emperor angel once again, but doing this right this time by QT it within a 20g tank dosed with ionic copper for 2 weeks, and maybe longer depending on how he looks/seems within that tank before transferring him over to the 125

• 2 weeks later...
Reefer-begginer

Newest update within the tank

The Ich I was dealing with has now been eradicated within the tank, this is thanks to new treatments I've been using (Chloroquine Phosphate ), and within the new UV Sterilizer I am thankful for.

As this has saved my foxface and my coral beauty angelfish.

Now this is the new look of my tank.

http://imgur.com/gallery/4duWjRV

• 1 month later...
Reefer-begginer

Time for another update

Over the past couple weeks I had slowly added fish back to my 125 after adding a UV Sterilizer onto the tank.

Currently out of all the fish added I lost 3 unfortunately within the last 2 days and I can guess why.

Yesterday- clam died and was being eaten by my long spine urchin and shrimps., thought nothing of it but then later that night my sailfin tang died.

Come today, my baby imperator angel ( 2 inches long ) had perished and was being eaten by my sally lightfoot crab.

I had checked my parameters and my ammonia was above 10ml/L ( Sera test kit ). So I can rule the deaths as to my clam dying as my ammonia never reached above .5ml/L.

Also noting the imperator stopped eating for the 2 days the ammonia was high - probable death - starvation ( refused to eat ) and ammonia poisoning 

Edited by Reefer-begginer