Coral Vue Hydros

Mandarin goby behavior

Reefer-begginer

Reefer-begginer

So i had a quick question and I'm unsure if this is normal for a green mandarin dragonet(goby).

I always see mine ontop of my water curc pump to ontop of my algae mag float.

Does this mean something is wrong? Or he just likes being close to the top of the tank?

Mandarins are a hard to keep fish that need constant food supply of live pods and multiple feedings a day with supplement foods.

It could be looking for food.

Not uncommon for fish to do odd things.

Reefer-begginer
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Mandarins are a hard to keep fish that need constant food supply of live pods and multiple feedings a day with supplement foods.

It could be looking for food.

Not uncommon for fish to do odd things.

I have way to many pods in my tank, thats why I added a mandarin, I did see it eat sponges and mysis last night so I know its eating something 

Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, Reefer-begginer said:

So i had a quick question and I'm unsure if this is normal for a green mandarin dragonet(goby).

I always see mine ontop of my water curc pump to ontop of my algae mag float.

Does this mean something is wrong? Or he just likes being close to the top of the tank?

Do you have a pic?

Also, what time does he do this? In the mornings, when the lights are on, or at night, when everything is off?

I notice mine has a habit of sitting on my wavemaker while it's off during feeding sessions. My wavemaker has GHA growing on it, and I've seen my mandy peck at it, presumably looking for a pod or two to snack on. But then he dips down after a while and goes back to hunting on the sandbed or rocks.

• Like 1

Mandarins don't eat sponges. They pick at a variety of surfaces while looking for food, but don't eat those surfaces. Mysis isn't nutritious enough to sustain one long-term without many, many daily feedings.

Do you have too many copepods or amphipods? Mandarins mostly eat copepods.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

I have way to many pods in my tank, thats why I added a mandarin, I did see it eat sponges and mysis last night so I know its eating something 

Mandarins eat 24/7 and will clean out a tank in no time of pods.

you will need to seed your tank frequently( every 2-4 weeks) with pods to keep up with a mandarins needs and on top of that supplement feedings of mysis multiple times a day.

Copepods are not a  bad thing to have, they are extremely beneficial

• Like 1
Reefer-begginer
2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Do you have a pic?

Also, what time does he do this? In the mornings, when the lights are on, or at night, when everything is off?

I notice mine has a habit of sitting on my wavemaker while it's off during feeding sessions. My wavemaker has GHA growing on it, and I've seen my mandy peck at it, presumably looking for a pod or two to snack on. But then he dips down after a while and goes back to hunting on the sandbed or rocks.

http://imgur.com/gallery/WfBBKNY

Best one i can get of him on my mag float

Reefer-begginer
58 minutes ago, Tired said:

Mandarins don't eat sponges. They pick at a variety of surfaces while looking for food, but don't eat those surfaces. Mysis isn't nutritious enough to sustain one long-term without many, many daily feedings.

Do you have too many copepods or amphipods? Mandarins mostly eat copepods.

I dosed my tank like 3 weeks ago with 3 500Micron Tigger pods and 2 150 micron amphipods. The amphipods are mostly for the clownfish to nip at as they go crazy for them

32 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Mandarins eat 24/7 and will clean out a tank in no time of pods.

you will need to seed your tank frequently( every 2-4 weeks) with pods to keep up with a mandarins needs and on top of that supplement feedings of mysis multiple times a day.

Copepods are not a  bad thing to have, they are extremely beneficial

I plan on dosing once a week with pods just to keep my mandarin happy and fed