Cultivated Reef

anemone help

Reefer-begginer

Reefer-begginer

Im not sure if this is in the right spot but please let me know if it isn't.

I have a green long tentacle anemone that seems go get bigger for a few minutes then gets shrunken to where it looks like a purple ball ( odd I know ), my question is as to when it enlarges itself, does that hurt it or is it normal for anemones to get really big ( during daylight ) and shrink to basically a ball ( night time schedule ).

Also on that note, do clownfish( tank bred occerlarus ) that host it normally prevent you from feeding the anemone krill/silversides/prawn heads?.

Pics for reference on my anemone http://imgur.com/gallery/Ic0XkJn

That's what they do, yes. Like corals, anemones close at night. 

Don't feed the anemone silversides. Some people have their nems abruptly die after being given a silverside, for unknown reasons- possibly the silversides spoil. Krill and prawn pieces are good, though. Clownfish will often bring food to the anemone, but shouldn't stop you from feeding it- what are they doing? Are they stealing the food? 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Even my mini carpets shrink back a bit during night time. Mysis shrimp aren't a bad bet for anemones. Remember that anemones are also photosynthetic on top of their heterotrophic habits so directed target feeding is an additional layer of them doing what nature do.

Reefer-begginer
1 hour ago, Tired said:

That's what they do, yes. Like corals, anemones close at night. 

Don't feed the anemone silversides. Some people have their nems abruptly die after being given a silverside, for unknown reasons- possibly the silversides spoil. Krill and prawn pieces are good, though. Clownfish will often bring food to the anemone, but shouldn't stop you from feeding it- what are they doing? Are they stealing the food? 

My one clownfish that hosts it steals the food 

Try giving the clownfish a big piece of food to eat, then feeding the nem quickly. Giving it a large number of small bits of food, like mysis, might also work- it may be able to get those to its mouth without the clown noticing as well.