Coral Vue Hydros

Lovecoral

Hey guys I bought an already established tank (nano reef) in the fluval evo 13.5g. I have 2 questions one more important than the other but wondering on both. 

so I transported the aquarium with a few inches of water in it and the inhabitants in bags (1 hermit crab, 2 slugs, 2 bubble tip anemone, 1 anemone shrimp, tile of gsp, some zoas, live rock and live sand) the live rock was in a 5g pain with the tanks previous water. 

I also picked up 2 clownfish and 1 blue damselfish my brother bought me a hammerhead coral. 

so got home and added the previous water to the tank, then let the bags all float and acclimate. Then made more salt water and checked salinity, all salinities of previous, new and the fishes marine store water similar within .01-.02 of each other. I slowly added the anemones clean up crew etc. I added a bit of the tank water to the fish bags then sat for 5 min or so and then just let them sort of swim out when they were ready. 

I tried following the directions best I could. 

so In the tank things look good, the coral is slowly opening one anemone moved completely and the other is ok same spot bit open but closing up maybe because it’s night now? Do they do that?

my main concern is that the 2 clown fish are staying primarily in the one top corner. The blue damsel is sort of swimming back and forth from one rock arch to another rock cave and seems fine not going to the top at all. I don’t see anything particularly concerning about the clowns except they are mostly at the top and more in one corner. 

First question is should I be concerned? I want them to acclimate well and be happy and healthy I’m so paranoid can’t sleep. Is there anything specific I should watch for to catch any warning signs and help? 

second question I can’t seem to keep the back chamber same level as the main, it’s about an inch or more lower. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Bonus question should I have the pump nozzles aimed more at the anemones and coral or above them, away from them? I feel like I did so much research and now I’m the moment I’m just panicked on night one praying everyone is happy inside! Help 😮

39CC005C-9CF2-4A35-A64C-0FB0DCB4D14B.jpeg

30D4B408-2043-4BC6-908F-51EDAEB88319.jpeg

99D1135F-D6F4-4A6E-B355-2D9A53E431D0.jpeg

A8C65341-0A80-409D-B343-7B3A28F0617E.jpeg

7DB61340-A5DF-4231-B150-B4ECDFA51DB1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lovecoral said:

Hey guys I bought an already established tank (nano reef) in the fluval evo 13.5g. I have 2 questions one more important than the other but wondering on both. 

so I transported the aquarium with a few inches of water in it and the inhabitants in bags (1 hermit crab, 2 slugs, 2 bubble tip anemone, 1 anemone shrimp, tile of gsp, some zoas, live rock and live sand) the live rock was in a 5g pain with the tanks previous water. Do you know how long the tank was set up for previously? It sounds like it's pretty well established, so no need to worry about cycling etc.

I also picked up 2 clownfish and 1 blue damselfish my brother bought me a hammerhead coral. 

so got home and added the previous water to the tank, then let the bags all float and acclimate. Then made more salt water and checked salinity, all salinities of previous, new and the fishes marine store water similar within .01-.02 of each other. I slowly added the anemones clean up crew etc. I added a bit of the tank water to the fish bags then sat for 5 min or so and then just let them sort of swim out when they were ready. That's good, it sounds like you've been diligent when mixing your water - not a bad habit to get into!

I tried following the directions best I could. 

so In the tank things look good, the coral is slowly opening one anemone moved completely and the other is ok same spot bit open but closing up maybe because it’s night now? Do they do that? That's fine - anemones are sensitive souls and will often move around a new tank until they find a spot where they're happy. Don't worry about it roaming for a bit - and yes it will close up at night. Watch out for it going walkies into any powerheads, you might need to temporarily cover them until it's settled.

my main concern is that the 2 clown fish are staying primarily in the one top corner. The blue damsel is sort of swimming back and forth from one rock arch to another rock cave and seems fine not going to the top at all. I don’t see anything particularly concerning about the clowns except they are mostly at the top and more in one corner. Don't worry about it - they're just settling back in. Over time clownfish will hang around in a certain area (google clownfish hosting behaviour) but more than likely they're just getting settled.

First question is should I be concerned? I want them to acclimate well and be happy and healthy I’m so paranoid can’t sleep. Is there anything specific I should watch for to catch any warning signs and help? It sounds like you've done a great job, don't worry and just have a bit of patience 🙂

second question I can’t seem to keep the back chamber same level as the main, it’s about an inch or more lower. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Typically some chambers will be lower but without seeing a pic of the rear chamber it's hard to judge. You could remedy this by either adding more water to the display, or turning the pump down (you have more water exiting the overflow area than you do entering). There is of course evaporation - you'll need to be topping up with freshwater daily, if you don't have an ATO.

Bonus question should I have the pump nozzles aimed more at the anemones and coral or above them, away from them? I feel like I did so much research and now I’m the moment I’m just panicked on night one praying everyone is happy inside! Help 😮

It depends on the power of the pumps but I wouldn't blast the anemone direct - I always like to aim pumps toward the surface, if possible. Perhaps share a few more pics with your thoughts and I'm sure someone will chip in - but I'd try and get sorted as soon as you can, the nems likely won't settle until the flow is predicatable.

Hi Lovecoral - some tips above 🙂

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, SaltyGallon said:

Hi Lovecoral - some tips above 🙂

Thank you so much! Such a relief I googled clownfish behaviour and I’m feeling a lot better. The one anemone crawled into a rock and closed up the other opened again so maybe it was eating or pooping? 

I have a double nozzle output on the evo so I put one down towards a hammerhead coral that seems most open (so far) and happy with the flow towards it and the other in the opposite direction. I fear ive messed too much tonight and I’m stressing them out so I’ve put the lights out and going to leave everyone alone until tomorrow. After I feed them maybe I’ll redirect the output nozzles more towards the surface and see if anyone seems happier. 

I sure hope the clownfish host one of the anemones. There’s a resident anemone shrimp that usually hosts one I guess but maybe they can each have one or share. We’ll see 🙂 

thanks again I’m exhausted going to sleep lol

They may act weird for a bit as they were all pretty stressed out, so give them some time.  The Nems may go into hiding or close up but dont adjust the water flow directly at them or move things around too much. They are going to do what they want to do and find their spot. Hammers tend to like a light/medium sway so don't overdue it and point the nozzle directly at it. I was very nervous at first as well. The less you overthink it especially with the Nems (Mine crawled into a cave and hung on the ceiling for 6 days). They have a mind of their own and will go where they feel comfortable. Give things time and set a schedule to do water changes/testing and write down your weekly testing so you can see if you have any swings is my best advice to you.

TerraIncognita
8 hours ago, Lovecoral said:

Thank you so much! Such a relief I googled clownfish behaviour and I’m feeling a lot better. The one anemone crawled into a rock and closed up the other opened again so maybe it was eating or pooping? 

I have a double nozzle output on the evo so I put one down towards a hammerhead coral that seems most open (so far) and happy with the flow towards it and the other in the opposite direction. I fear ive messed too much tonight and I’m stressing them out so I’ve put the lights out and going to leave everyone alone until tomorrow. After I feed them maybe I’ll redirect the output nozzles more towards the surface and see if anyone seems happier. 

I sure hope the clownfish host one of the anemones. There’s a resident anemone shrimp that usually hosts one I guess but maybe they can each have one or share. We’ll see 🙂 

thanks again I’m exhausted going to sleep lol

New sand or the same sand?

Probably the only thing that happened from what I can see from the photos was just sediment and detritus stirring up, it can irritate them a little, like a dusty day might irritate your nose. If it was the same sand and it was really old, I might just check the ammonia levels. Once everything settles back down, since it is also an established tank, I don't expect any ammonia spikes, but just in case.

Anemones fill themselves up with the water around them, so if there's lose sediment or bad stuff in the water due to settling, it might expel and reinflate a few times til it feels happy.

As you go along in the Hobby you'll find more and more, no matter how healthy the fish,invert, coral is when you get it, it'll always take at least generally a day until it settles in and looks "normal"

Some even up to a week.

Good luck with this tank!

1 hour ago, TerraIncognita said:

New sand or the same sand?

Probably the only thing that happened from what I can see from the photos was just sediment and detritus stirring up, it can irritate them a little, like a dusty day might irritate your nose. If it was the same sand and it was really old, I might just check the ammonia levels. Once everything settles back down, since it is also an established tank, I don't expect any ammonia spikes, but just in case.

Anemones fill themselves up with the water around them, so if there's lose sediment or bad stuff in the water due to settling, it might expel and reinflate a few times til it feels happy.

As you go along in the Hobby you'll find more and more, no matter how healthy the fish,invert, coral is when you get it, it'll always take at least generally a day until it settles in and looks "normal"

Some even up to a week.

Good luck with this tank!

Same sand definitely kicked up it’s starting to look better. The anemones completely hid but are slowly coming back out and the hammerhead May have had too much flow. I adjusted and I’m hoping things settle. The fish are amazing today a lot more active and explorative and hanging out a lot lower in the tank. Just hoping my hammerhead cora gets better healthier and fluffier. 

575ACE49-1AB3-436C-9549-719DB3FCB9DF.jpeg

4C366F41-2240-434D-A9CE-DC9B60CBFA68.jpeg

7398EA64-E9DC-4893-92C6-6BD4C3C78ED1.jpeg

TerraIncognita
28 minutes ago, Lovecoral said:

Same sand definitely kicked up it’s starting to look better. The anemones completely hid but are slowly coming back out and the hammerhead May have had too much flow. I adjusted and I’m hoping things settle. The fish are amazing today a lot more active and explorative and hanging out a lot lower in the tank. Just hoping my hammerhead cora gets better healthier and fluffier. 

575ACE49-1AB3-436C-9549-719DB3FCB9DF.jpeg

4C366F41-2240-434D-A9CE-DC9B60CBFA68.jpeg

7398EA64-E9DC-4893-92C6-6BD4C3C78ED1.jpeg

The tank doesn’t look TOO old either looks like you got it right as it started maturing which is great. Only mentioning that as the sand bed I’m sure didn’t have TOO much detritus.

just keep your feedings light for the next couple weeks while everything re-establishes and I’m sure you’ll be golden.

thays a beautiful hammer I love when they have the coloration More in the tentacle instead of the tip.

1 hour ago, TerraIncognita said:

The tank doesn’t look TOO old either looks like you got it right as it started maturing which is great. Only mentioning that as the sand bed I’m sure didn’t have TOO much detritus.

just keep your feedings light for the next couple weeks while everything re-establishes and I’m sure you’ll be golden.

thays a beautiful hammer I love when they have the coloration More in the tentacle instead of the tip.

Thanks but I’m very worried about it ... it’s not opening up the way it was open prior and it’s shedding a bit

4528132F-24AD-4557-BF6C-1466E4714C02.jpeg

D4E0491E-00F8-4669-91AE-41ED26DA6F62.jpeg

TerraIncognita
3 hours ago, Lovecoral said:

Thanks but I’m very worried about it ... it’s not opening up the way it was open prior and it’s shedding a bit

4528132F-24AD-4557-BF6C-1466E4714C02.jpeg

D4E0491E-00F8-4669-91AE-41ED26DA6F62.jpeg

I’ve found hammers take 3-4 days to re-open fully.

the shedding is something all corals do when stressed or threatened they will release their mucus coat. This is different from stingers.

if I were you I’d try to remove the mucus coat, if possible, Gently. And only by pulling the lose but flowing in the water.

don’t try to pull anything off the coral if it’s not already just barely floating there.

while the mucus coat can’t “sting” if it covers another coral it could suffocate it from what I know.

nothing to be too concerned about. It’s an obvious sign of stress and we know what caused it :-).

• Like 1

Moving a tank can stir up detrius in sand, and might cause a small cycle. You should test for amonia/nitrite. 

Second, slow down, always do things in small increments. From your post and photos, i am assuming the addition of the fish and corals happened along with setting up the tank. 

Third, I would look into flow, if you have jus the stock pump, then it may not be enough. Make sure that one of the return nozzles is pointed up so that the surface gets agitated, possibly the clowns are letting you know they need more oxygen. 

• Like 1

Hey sorry update the fish are incredible and doing really well! They already come to see me when I go stare at them or walk through the room sometimes. They haven’t hosted any anemones yet but they seem happy and that’s enough for me. The anemones seem To have picked their spots for now and are doing great, the hammer has a beautiful colour and no more shedding and is more open and flowy every day. Everything seems to be going really well and I couldn’t be happier!!! 

my salinity seems stable, my ammonia patch shows all good and my master test was near perfect but I would like to lower some phosphates and nitrates a touch so we’re switching to RO water (opposed to treated tap) through water changes. 

I have also learned more and will be picking up some phytoplankton as well as coral dip to pre clean any new babies and keep everyone full and healthy and happy. I’m looking into reef roids but understand it might be excessive at this point with only one coral. If all continues happy and stable I am adding a hairy mushroom, green mushroom and Xenia this coming week from a great contact I made through local Facebook groups. Luckily she is very patient and it’s from her own tank so if I need more time she seems fine with that too. 

I’m obsessed and already have a diagram of the beginner corals I would like and where to place them so they don’t attack each other etc. I’m hoping to slowly add things here and there and go with the flow for an end goal of a nice cohesive colourful tank.... then at some point I already plan an upgrade to a bigger aquarium haha but baby steps one coral at a time 😍 thanks everyone!

also side question, I’ve been given conflicting info, I have Only stock flow arm, one flow nozzle breaking the surface the other going down providing some nice (but not direct) flow to the anemones and coral. I have 50/50 saying extra wave maker or powerhead not needed vs needed or beneficial. I mean for a nano tank they are very reasonably priced so I don’t mind either way just don’t know what’s best. 

• Like 1

Since your tank is pretty small I would get one but with a lower end gph. It won't to keep circulation going in the tank. Careful with the xenia, it can over take a tank quick or just decide it won't grow in your tank. It's a weird one. 

5 hours ago, Mwil79 said:

Since your tank is pretty small I would get one but with a lower end gph. It won't to keep circulation going in the tank. Careful with the xenia, it can over take a tank quick or just decide it won't grow in your tank. It's a weird one. 

Thanks, I’ve heard that so I’m nervous but I’m putting it on an island hoping it keeps to it’s zone and plan to strategically place other coral around it to deter super growth. Hope it grows well

7 hours ago, Lovecoral said:

Thanks, I’ve heard that so I’m nervous but I’m putting it on an island hoping it keeps to it’s zone and plan to strategically place other coral around it to deter super growth. Hope it grows well

Good plan... Just watch for bits that drop off! Glad all settled - nothing to worry about after all 🙂

Thanks! It’s all new to me and the whole community in here and Facebook and the LFS are all so helpful and generous with info and tips. I’m really feeling more comfortable