Top Shelf Aquatics

UNS 90L Build questions

BillyW

So my wife started a planted tank and everything is so sleek with glass Lilly Pipes and everything, it just looks way better than everything we do in my opinion.

I am starting a UNS 90L which is basically 36x12x12 and about 21 gallons.  I am going to drill it and put a Modular Marine Overflow box the 800gph one with a Lilly Pipe on each end for flow.  Talked with Advanced Acrylics to get a sump narrow enough to fit under the stand, just have to wait to get it, so i think I am good with everything but lights.

My problem is finding a sleek looking light to cover this footprint.  With NanoBox out of business now I feel I have looked at every option and am falling short, with something that makes sense so looking for recommendations.  The sleekest looking Light I can think of right now for the footprint is the new Kessil A9X but it is extreme overkill.  Everything else covers a square.

The Orphek strip lights look pretty good but I would have to hang them and I can’t hang them from the ceiling and honestly would prefer not to hang them over the tank.  I Want to do something that mounts on the back of the tank, i think it just looks more sleek.

2x XR15 Radions spaced out

or

Kessil A9X

On 8/25/2020 at 10:07 PM, makingfilms said:

you could try orphek or xho strip lights. there is a brs video on using them exclusively 

Hey brother so I’m really considering the Orphek OR3s.  One Blue+, one Reef, and one UV.  Do you think that would work good?  Right now I’m torn between that option, the illumagic Blaze or 2x XR15Gen5s

I guess sleek is in the eye of the beholder, but the ai primes are pretty minimalistic.  BRSTV did a really complete job evaluating the newest version of them in June 2020 showing spread at different depths, light heights, tank sizes etc.   After it was all said and done, for something 36" wide they recommended 2 lights for LPS and 3 lights for SPS.   The benefit of using more small lights is obviously that spread and lack of hot spots is increased.  Take a look if you would consider these "cheap" lights.   You could also independently change the light settings on all 2 or 3 to dial in different parts of the tank.   Just an idea.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-aqua-illumination-prime-hd/

15 hours ago, BillyW said:

Hey brother so I’m really considering the Orphek OR3s.  One Blue+, one Reef, and one UV.  Do you think that would work good?  Right now I’m torn between that option, the illumagic Blaze or 2x XR15Gen5s

i haven't tried the new gens of strip lighting personally yet but the brs video made it seem like pretty decent solution. I seriously was considering setting up a tank like yours with the cheaper strip lights they reviewed.  on other forums people seem to experimenting so you could definitely find some info out there . your tank is shallow so if you like the shimmer of kessil you could go 2 a160s or maybe 3a80s? depending on stocking.