ReefCleaners.org

Dry rock tank now the new home of "Diver Dan"

debbeach13

Well today as usual I am a bit bored. I almost just answered a call that actually showed SPAM RISK! Any way this morning after starting some water for a water change on the EVO I was considering dumping a bottle of Bio-Spira into this tank of rocks and heading out to look for a fish. It would have to be a fish that later I would want to put in the 20L. Then I had second thoughts and ended up moving the tank to the DYI stand that has the EVO on the top shelf. What I learned is I would probably would not want to try and maintain a tank on the bottom shelf.  To hard to access for me. Any way for now I am going to remove the Kenya Tree put one back in the EVO and one back in the 20L since the tank will no longer be getting any sun light. 

I know what you mean, had a 20 long endler breeding tank with no light on a bottom shelf and really disliked getting down there to work.

Lay off the caffeine and scary movies 😏

I'm finding it hard to spend money on any tanks even though I need fw sae, otos and snails.  Can't shake the feeling things aren't going to go right in the next 5-10 ys. 😎

Tell me to go spend some money debbeach!

You do things right with attractive tanks that don't break the bank.

Yesterday morning I took the 10 gallon tank off the DY stand and put it back on the kitchen counter. I add about 1/3 of a 3.38 oz. bottle of Bio-Spira to the tank. I had decided I wanted to get a new fish for the 20L tank. Last night I went to Petco to get some Mysis shrimp. I also I got a Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis Fridman). They supposedly eat bristle worms. We shall see. i also ordered coral on line.  I acknowledge that I maybe making some very questionable decisions lately and feel free to give me some crap because I am not really prepared. I mentioned in the TOT thread I am experiencing reefer restlessness. Big time! I placed an on line order that arrived today. 2 Peppermint Lord Acans. 2 Tequila Sunrise Gorgonian (which might be a different kind Gorgonian) 1 Blue Sympodium. 2 Baby Blue zoa's. My lugos and rivive had both expired so no dipping. Temp acclimate for 2 plus hours. I have never had acans or Gorgonians. Trying different corals and no dipping I feel like e newbie.

Everything out of the bag. 

5CE1307F-86F1-4231-BE2D-8F4798D149AF.jpeg

8213EEF2-567E-4B5B-82ED-9EFFBBCB8295.jpeg

9D4E1C54-563D-412B-BF32-500B42F2BA6B.jpeg

• Like 3

Orchid dottybacks are really pretty. But I'll tell you right now: don't expect any other fish to work in a 10gal with a dottyback. I wouldn't keep it in there long-term, anyway, more like a 20 or 30 so it has room to swim. 

Sympodium doesn't like to be moved, at all. Put it somewhere good and leave it there. Medium light, a bit of flow but not enough to blast it, secure it so nothing can knock it over. It gets fussy about any sort of change, and really doesn't like being upended. Hates it more than most. Looks like some nice corals in there.

I was hoping to put the fish in the 20L after observation. That tank has just two clowns for fish. It has a good amount of rock and I have some barnacle pieces I can add. When I checked live aquaria they said reef safe if there are plenty of crevices. Thanks for the coral info also. 

Might work in a 20, but you probably shouldn't add anything after it, and you should definitely monitor for aggression. Dottybacks don't mess around if they feel territorial. 

• 1 month later...
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, Tired said:

That is incredibly small! Any idea where it came from? Did someone's anemones spawn? It can't possibly be from a split, it's so tiny.

It’s probably a split. Once it inflates I bet it’s around 3”. They just deflate when they’re messed with, or put in to new tanks. 

It came from a local reefers tank. The tank is 180 gallon.  Left side was full of anemones.  He offered two babies free that he removed from the glass when cleaning the tank this morning but when I got there one had moved and he couldn’t find it. He said he will let me know the next time one is on the glass. 

• Like 1

The baby anemone was sitting in the same spot this morning:)

I moved the yellow stripped blenny into this tank this morning because last night MAMA clown was relentless chasing and biting him. Some nipped fins. If I was up for tearing the tank apart I would have moved mama but she has been in there for years and the blenny was added very recently. He went in the barnacle when I was cleaning the glass and stirring the sand so I just picked it up and placed in here. No acclimation so I hope is does OK.

Also turned the nano pump back on. It is behind the rock down low. 

• Like 2

The anemone moved all over the tank. I do not think it liked the extra flow. I had put a nylon knee high on the pump but I ended up taking the pump out it was working to hard and heating up the tank. I am pretty sure the fish I have been calling a blenny is actually a yellow stripped goby. He is enjoying not being harassed and comes right up to the glass when I observe the tank. He likes to eat flake and frozen. 

• 2 weeks later...

FTS there is some Kenya tree and a fish in there with the anemone plenty of rock, stars, a hermit crab and a snail. Good enough plus I feed the fish everyday and the anemone gets marine snow and reef roids mix every 2 to 3 days squirted at it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • debbeach13 changed the title to Dry rock tank now the new home of "Diver Dan"