inTank Media Baskets

Anyone use ATC refractometer?

Clown79

TerraIncognita
14 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I wanna get another refractometer so i always have 2.

Anyone use the ATC, is it good and would you recommend it?

The other option is Red Sea.

I use it, it's good.

Make sure you get the right one.

https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-Fishkeeping-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B018LRO1SU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=refractometer&qid=1598383205&sr=8-3

Their Brix one is for something else, measures up to like 1.2 Salinity levels. I got the wrong one the first time.

This one is lower range. I only home mix with Coral Pro Red Sea, and I've never had any issues getting proper salt levels or at least what my refractometer is saying is proper salt levels 😛 lol. My reef SEEM to concur it's accuracy..... so far....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X9SC2Z4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07X9SC2Z4&pd_rd_w=YiyOY&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=00FSQ&pf_rd_r=FQ8QDYA7F6SY2VA03ZXS&pd_rd_r=b85a0d69-27fd-45ac-a388-c9dbcbd53b54&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFTOUEzQ0RVNk1BVkQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2OTE2NzJWUkE3TjE0TFAzSzcmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDc5MTYwNTNTS05ESDRMNUJCMFomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

This one looks pretty good too.

It's a really simple mechanism, actually. So I think they're hard to mess up. Just make sure you c calibrate it with distilled water.

Also another tip, after you put the saltwater on the refractometer let it sit for about 30 seconds to get a better reading.  I bought some BRS calibration fluid and there is a note on the bottle that says let sit for 30 seconds before putting the cover on.  I tried it without waiting and my reading was 1.022 vs 1.025 (waiting 30 seconds).

TerraIncognita
54 minutes ago, applejk said:

Also another tip, after you put the saltwater on the refractometer let it sit for about 30 seconds to get a better reading.  I bought some BRS calibration fluid and there is a note on the bottle that says let sit for 30 seconds before putting the cover on.  I tried it without waiting and my reading was 1.022 vs 1.025 (waiting 30 seconds).

+1 also correct. I always let it settle.

It's a simple flotation device. The screwdriver adjust the amount of "leeway" on the flotation.

That's literally all it is.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

I use that exact one for my tank.

+2 for letting it sit for 30 seconds. Can you believe that it comes with a user manual! LOL who reads those! But yes if you do actually read the manual that says the instructions, it will say to wait on the ATC refracto so that it'll give you the correct reading.

NoOneLikesADryTang
32 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

I use that exact one for my tank.

+2 for letting it sit for 30 seconds. Can you believe that it comes with a user manual! LOL who reads those! But yes if you do actually read the manual that says the instructions, it will say to wait on the ATC refracto so that it'll give you the correct reading.

I’m not sure that I would have read it, but the one I ordered from Amazon did not have a manual. 

Thanks everyone for the info and the heads up on the instructions for the atc.

I use both calibration fluid and rodi to check my refractometer because i learned the hard way twice that part way through a bottle of calibration fluid- it starts going off even when you do everything properly.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
18 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I’m not sure that I would have read it, but the one I ordered from Amazon did not have a manual. 

Huh. Actually, I found my manual by taking out the foam stuffing from the case. They probably squirreled every manual away like that.

NoOneLikesADryTang
3 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Huh. Actually, I found my manual by taking out the foam stuffing from the case. They probably squirreled every manual away like that.

I just checked - you were right, there was a users manual, and a cleaning cloth under the foam. 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
Just now, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I just checked - you were right, there was a users manual, and a cleaning cloth under the foam. 

Those cleaning cloths are money to anyone who wears glasses, like me.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2020 at 12:13 PM, Clown79 said:

I wanna get another refractometer so i always have 2.

Anyone use the ATC, is it good and would you recommend it?

The other option is Red Sea.

Had one for 3 years. Works great. Caled it with rodi and it's been spot on for all 3 years. I ended up buying cal fluid about a year ago and now use that to check it every now and again..

Only problem I had was I caled it the first time right out of the mail box. It was 105 outside when i got it so it was HOT.. it was off the next day when I checked the cal again. Any how I recaled it and has been rock solid since.. if that makes sense 🤣

I have a sybon refractometer but been having issues with readings. 

I haven't figured out if its the refractometer or the calibration fluid.

Seems like as soon as i get to half the bottle, it starts reading wrong.

I'm thinking of going with a milwaukee. No more calibration fluid and faster to read with so many tanks.

I have two Refractometers for measuring Antifreeze and Battery Acids. The ruggedness, optics, and chemical resistance on them just blows away Aquarium Refractometers. Of course I paid a lot of money for them. 

On 8/25/2020 at 3:13 PM, Clown79 said:

Anyone use the ATC

You mean the feature "Automatic Temperature Compensation"?  Then "Yes" I use one that has it...from Marine Depot around 2006.  It's not one of the cheaper one, presuming they still sell it.  My recollection is spending US$30-40 on it at the time.

(If ATC is a brand name, then I have no idea.  I'd say check the one on MD's site.)

On 8/26/2020 at 8:42 PM, Clown79 said:

I have a sybon refractometer but been having issues with readings. 

I haven't figured out if its the refractometer or the calibration fluid.

Seems like as soon as i get to half the bottle, it starts reading wrong.

I'm thinking of going with a milwaukee. No more calibration fluid and faster to read with so many tanks.

That unit still requires calibration.  Electric meters are a little notorious for it, generally speaking.

For comparison, I've never needed to calibrate the analog refractometer I have.....that is, until my 5 year old got ahold of it.  (Under similar conditions, I wish the digital meter luck.  LOL)

I recalibrated with RODI after that and it's fine again.  

Main point being that it held its calibration – as expected – for something like a decade.  And it took the purposeful turn of a screwdriver to mess it up...not just time sitting on a shelf as it seems with some other refractometers.  (I've picked up a few "modern" refractometers that were as light as paper, so maybe it's not completely surprising.)

48 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

That unit still requires calibration.  Electric meters are a little notorious for it, generally speaking.

For comparison, I've never needed to calibrate the analog refractometer I have.....that is, until my 5 year old got ahold of it.  (Under similar conditions, I wish the digital meter luck.  LOL)

Main point being that it held its calibration – as expected – for something like a decade.  And it took the purposeful turn of a screwdriver to mess it up...not just time sitting on a shelf as it seems with some other refractometers.  (I've picked up a few "modern" refractometers that were as light as paper, so maybe it's not completely surprising.)

I do calibrate it, the problem is when i check with calibration fluid, its not holding it.

With multiple tests of 35ppt cal solution it read

1.027 - calibrated to 35ppt

Retested- read 34ppt

Then 36ppt

i no longer trust calibration fluid because this isn't the first time this happened, this is the 3rd bottle where halfway through, it no longer is good.

I will be going to Milwaukee digital because i'm tired of spending $30/yr on new calibration fluid and the time spent fussing with salinity readings.

54 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Sybon is a high quality refractometer. I don't trust the cheaper brands because when you see the description of what its made of, its not solid materials- like you describe "feel light" 

I rarely had to calibrate it up until a yr ago.

You have the option of calibrating with RODI water instead of calibration fluid....that goes for analog or digital.  

Allegedly RODI is less accurate, but at this late stage I would have to say that even if it's better, calibration fluid is not meaningfully better than RODI.  Certainly not if it comes with any added bother....as you've indicated.

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Sybon

Hach Chemical markets them, so I'd assume you're right.  (No brand name on mine anywhere.)

8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

With multiple tests of 35ppt cal solution it read

1.027 - calibrated to 35ppt

Retested- read 34ppt

Then 36ppt

Is that with calibration adjustments in-between readings?  Or just multiple readings of the same calibration?

That's pretty twisted if you're getting different readings on the same fluid without making calibration changes.

Even a wrong calibration should be consistently wrong. Weird!

21 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

You have the option of calibrating with RODI water instead of calibration fluid....that goes for analog or digital.  

Allegedly RODI is less accurate, but at this late stage I would have to say that even if it's better, calibration fluid is not meaningfully better than RODI.  Certainly not if it comes with any added bother....as you've indicated.

Hach Chemical markets them, so I'd assume you're right.  (No brand name on mine anywhere.)

Is that with calibration adjustments in-between readings?  Or just multiple readings of the same calibration?

That's pretty twisted if you're getting different readings on the same fluid without making calibration changes.

I agree. I think at this point RODI is more accurate.

Its both. I get mixed readings from the fluid after calibrating it back to 35 and when i don't.

Its been very frustrating and costly.

With 3 tanks and a qt, i am second guessing and spending far more time on salinity than one should.

I just got brand new calibration fluid, a different kind because i no longer trust the brightwell one.

I'm gonna check with that.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 10:48 AM, mcarroll said:

So its my refractometer.

Its not holding calibration.

I calibrate it to 35 with cal solution and then checked with rodi water. The rodi water is reading below 0.

If i calibrate to 0 and then check with calibration solution it reads 37.

• Like 1

I think that's also just the difference in calibration point 0 vs 35 isn't it?  The calibration point closer to the target you're measuring is more ideal to use, but the calibration from zero isn't far enough from accurate to be a real problem as long as it was consistently applied.  (Calibrate with RODI just to the south of zero and you're really close at 35 ppt.)