Pod Your Reef

Ich treatment not working

Reefer-begginer

Reefer-begginer

Also.

Day 3? Of hyposalinity at 1.009, fish dont seem to stressed or wanting to stop moving, tho they only eat once a day now even tho I try to feed twice like I usually did with them.

The ich on the coral beauty has disappeared, but im pretty sure it still has them on the fins as there isn't a light on my 14g nuvo

Reefer-begginer

Update.

It appears that I was running chemi-pure elite this entire time, making me think my meds are working because its been taking out all of the meds I've been using 

On 8/28/2020 at 1:07 AM, Reefer-begginer said:

Im gonna have to find a UV light meant for my 125g

Maybe an earlier thread, but didn't we talk about this and micron filtration in an earlier thread when this started happening?

Combining those two (UV+micron) with systematic freshwater dips AND the herbal treatment will give you a good shot.  

But the system has to be uncrowded and the fish can't be fighting or picking on each other...or otherwise be unduly stressed.  If they are subject to any of those things (or other stresses), then no treatment will help.

Hyposalinity is compatible as well – I would get these filters and the dipping system in place ASAP.

AquaUV, Lifeguard, Emperor Aquatics, Coralife and several others make fine UV filters.  Even the el-cheapo Green Killing Machine has proven to be effective in the right circumstances.

AquaUV's are probably the top of the line/best documented....which makes them the user-friendliest too IMO.  They are pricey though.  

I would call Lifeguard/Emperor for a recommendation if you like them.  

Most non-AquaUV filters may only be rated for a range of tank sizes or gallons....choose the size conservatively in these cases.  For example, if it's rated for "50-125 gallons" you'll need two of them at least.  Or if they also have a "125-200 gallons" model, choose that rather than the smaller one that also mentions 125 gallons.

If your local store carries a brand, I'd really consider using what they carry so replacement bulbs will be easy to get in 6 months to 1 year.   Ask here if you wonder anything about their options.

1 hour ago, Reefer-begginer said:

Update

Raccoon butterfly died this morning 

If this is velvet, then hypo might delay things but inevitably all the fish will die. Hyposalinity only suppresses symptoms of velvet; It will not completely eradicate it.

Reefer-begginer
2 minutes ago, Tired said:

Better get some copper, then. I know multiple medications work on both ich and velvet. Start using one!

I already have a medicine that treats ich/velvet

Its fritz ich Attack 

Reefer-begginer
7 minutes ago, Tired said:

Is it in the treatment tank with the fish? 

Do you know of any chloroquine phosphate products I can buy and use as a dip for new fish added after a 6 week fallow period 

4 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

Im thinking with how long they have had it its velvet 

Velvet looks different that this, and velvet is supposed to kill quickly, not slowly.

If this is velvet, it's a contrary case on both points.

In either case, the recommendation for UV+micron filtration (et al) still stands.

Reefer-begginer
11 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Velvet looks different that this, and velvet is supposed to kill quickly, not slowly.

If this is velvet, it's a contrary case on both points.

In either case, the recommendation for UV+micron filtration (et al) still stands.

Is micron filtration just adding a micron sock to my drain?

33 minutes ago, Reefer-begginer said:

Is micron filtration just adding a micron sock to my drain?

Possibly.

But the most common socks are going to be like 100µ...maybe as much as 400µ.

For parasites, I'd want 50µ at most....but I'd select the smallest mesh size that won't restrict flow too much.  1µ would be ideal.

You can get filter socks in any size/mesh(µ) you want, but my guess is that you'll have to mail order what we're talking about.

Marineland's Polishing Filter is an option...and what I use in my 125 Gallon when the need arises.   I use two at once, and I have them on magnetic mounts for ease of mounting.

One thing to know:  All micron filters get more efficient the more particles they trap...holes get smaller.  But less water flows then too...so it's a limited phenomena.

Diatom filters are micron filters that are purposefully clogged with diatom shell powder to enable sub-micron filtration.  You can do that with Marineland's Polishing filter as well as the classic Vortex XL canisters.  (There may be others.)   This will not work with a filter sock as far as I know.

The last gotcha with a filter sock is that it's not active in the tank where the outbreak is happening.  This will limit its impact on the outbreak.

All that said, just for example, if a 50µ filter sock is the best you can come up with, I'd still say do it. All of these are cost effective tools to have around if you ask me.  👍

That link is a good example.  I'd imagine that the 1µ should work, but maybe get a 5µ or 10µ just in case?  Consider having two in case you want to clean/disinfect one while the other is in use.

Mesh bags might be easier to use and clean vs felt, if you can find them.  Might flow better too.  If not the felt socks will do!!  👍

Reefer-begginer
11 hours ago, Humblefish said:

Assuming it's this treatment: http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/organic-herbal-preventatives-and-treatments-2/ich-attack-disease-treatment#compatabilities-toxicity!

That will not eradicate any diseases. The herbal remedies only help to manage symptoms of parasites.

Yea thats what it is from kordon, but not fritz.

The one i have from fritz is fixich which is not reef safe as it uses capsaicin 

I really would not be trying to cure ich with peppers. That's what capsaicin is- the stuff that makes peppers hot. I wouldn't put capsaicin in a tank with gilled animals, either. 

Please get a strong medication known to be effective. Now isn't the time for trying newer treatments or natural solutions, now is the time to hit the ich as hard as possible before more of your fish die. 

• Like 3