Reefer-begginer

TerraIncognita
29 minutes ago, Reefer-begginer said:

can't really setup a 3rd tank as I have 2 atm 

36g coral tank 

And this 125g 

Lol 3 tanks is a headache.

im on my 3rd

why don’t you transfer all the fish into your 36 and all the coral to the 125 then?

just literally move the rocks into the 125 and then treat the 36 with just the fish in it.

Reefer-begginer
3 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

Lol 3 tanks is a headache.

im on my 3rd

why don’t you transfer all the fish into your 36 and all the coral to the 125 then?

just literally move the rocks into the 125 and then treat the 36 with just the fish in it.

Because there is still a trace amount of coppersafe in the tank that I dosed like 5 months ago to help a wrasse with hole in the head disease before he got eaten by my black edge eel

If there's already coppersafe in the tank, there you go, treat with that. 

Or, again, a rubbermaid tub. Any food-safe container is also fish-safe. Fill a rubbermaid tub with water, chuck in a sacrificial rock from one aquarium, add a heater, pump, and lid, and there you go, treatment tank to keep your remaining fish from dying.

Medicated foods may help, but with an infection bad enough to be lethal, won't work fast enough or thoroughly enough. You need something strong. 

Reefer-begginer
5 minutes ago, Tired said:

If there's already coppersafe in the tank, there you go, treat with that. 

Or, again, a rubbermaid tub. Any food-safe container is also fish-safe. Fill a rubbermaid tub with water, chuck in a sacrificial rock from one aquarium, add a heater, pump, and lid, and there you go, treatment tank to keep your remaining fish from dying.

Medicated foods may help, but with an infection bad enough to be lethal, won't work fast enough or thoroughly enough. You need something strong. 

I would but that was before I put inverts in the tank, and still getting those guys out is a hassle in it self. I tried that bottle trick, and I got a peppermint shrimp but still need to catch 7 more shrimp

Start pulling the rocks out of the tank and catch those shrimp, or net the fish out. You are responsible for the health of these animals, and they're dying of something that's completely treatable. Whether or not it's a hassle, you need to take the reasonable measures that will keep them alive. 

Also, if shrimp are alive in the tank, I suspect it doesn't have enough copper left to be much of a problem. How much and how long did you dose? 

Reefer-begginer
1 hour ago, Tired said:

Start pulling the rocks out of the tank and catch those shrimp, or net the fish out. You are responsible for the health of these animals, and they're dying of something that's completely treatable. Whether or not it's a hassle, you need to take the reasonable measures that will keep them alive. 

Also, if shrimp are alive in the tank, I suspect it doesn't have enough copper left to be much of a problem. How much and how long did you dose? 

Dosed it for a month for that hole in the head, i was using chelated copper at 5mg/10gs

23 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

What's the deal with Freshwater Dips then? Wouldn't that sudden drop in Salinity then BIG increase cause stress? is it really a good idea? I've only ever done it once to try to treat ich as well and the fish died like 20 minutes later.... I've never really tried it since.

The exposure time of a FW dip (5 minutes) isn't really long enough to cause osmotic shock. It takes longer for lower/higher salinity to infiltrate the insides of a fish, and cause capillary congestion leading to the rupture of the capillaries via exposure to higher salinity levels.

• Like 1
TerraIncognita
1 hour ago, Humblefish said:

The exposure time of a FW dip (5 minutes) isn't really long enough to cause osmotic shock. It takes longer for lower/higher salinity to infiltrate the insides of a fish, and cause capillary congestion leading to the rupture of the capillaries via exposure to higher salinity levels.

Thats the exact answer I was looking for :). thank you.

• Like 1

I used saltwater dips on freshwater fish a couple of times, when they had leeches that were too small to remove with tweezers. They get really confused because they float uncontrollably in saltwater, but it doesn't hurt them any, and they don't even seem all that stressed afterward. They don't panic and hide like something especially bad happened, at least. And boy do leeches hate it! 

• Like 1
Reefer-begginer
3 hours ago, Humblefish said:

arent freshwater dips for saltwater fish like 2hrs?

Reefer-begginer

That's odd. So the sites that say to put your saltwater fish in freshwater in a aerated tank for 2-3 hours to get the ich cysts to pop are misinformed?

TerraIncognita
2 minutes ago, Reefer-begginer said:

That's odd. So the sites that say to put your saltwater fish in freshwater in a aerated tank for 2-3 hours to get the ich cysts to pop are misinformed?

Please inform of said sites? i've never read that

You need to medicate the fish. UV light very likely won't be enough to keep them alive, since it only gets the ones that are off the fish- and only some of them at a time. 

• Haha 1
Reefer-begginer

Let's not bash anyone on here, I have 10 years experience in fish keeping myself. Only difference is my 10 years is in freshwater and is limited to tetras and African cichlids mixed in with plecos, syndontis catfish and the odd knife fish here and there.

Point is, I'm in no way a expert but can give advice in a very specific field in freshwater.

Rather than in saltwater in which I have 9 months experience, 7 months of a 36g coral tank with no death and 5 months of a 125g tank with loads of deaths due to disease. ( - the 2 lionfish that died due to my eel bitting them and eating one )3

total experience in saltwater is 7 months with mixed results 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
4 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

Let's not bash anyone on here, I have 10 years experience in fish keeping myself. Only difference is my 10 years is in freshwater and is limited to tetras and African cichlids mixed in with plecos, syndontis catfish and the odd knife fish here and there.

Point is, I'm in no way a expert but can give advice in a very specific field in freshwater.

Rather than in saltwater in which I have 9 months experience, 7 months of a 36g coral tank with no death and 5 months of a 125g tank with loads of deaths due to disease. ( - the 2 lionfish that died due to my eel bitting them and eating one )3

total experience in saltwater is 7 months with mixed results 

I saw the whole thing earlier and it was uncalled for, in my opinion. 

Just because someone has XX-number-of years in reefkeeping experience, it doesn't necessarily mean they are better reefers than anyone else with lesser experience in the hobby. 

Plus, Tired was just trying to help. 👍

Reefer-begginer
2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I saw the whole thing earlier and it was uncalled for, in my opinion. 

Just because someone has XX-number-of years in reefkeeping experience, it doesn't necessarily mean they are better reefers than anyone else with lesser experience in the hobby. 

Plus, Tired was just trying to help. 👍

My point exactly, idk a good UV sterilizer anyway

• Like 1