Top Shelf Aquatics

lighting schedules - impact of extended no light?

jamex

Hello. I'm hoping to pick up my live rock and start cycling next week. I've got a 16G bowfront with 96W powerquad. Just a few questions.

1. During the cycle, should i still turn on the lights for 3-4 hours, or is ambient light sufficient for now.

2. Once snails and crabs are present, do they require extended lighting periods?

3. Once corals are added, and lighting is on a 10-12 hour fixed schedule, how long can most corals survive without light (or just ambient daytime light)? If a bulb blew, are they fine for a day? a few days? I'd assume some corals are obviously less demanding then others, but i'd like a sense of how soon disaster could occur if for some reason the lights were left off and i was not home for a day to turn them on.

The plan is to have everything on a timer. Just want to know all the facts. Thanks.

Indeed. Assuming everything else is fine, i'd still like to know what the longest period of time most soft corals could go without light before they're in a danger zone.

the bulb on my tank recently broke while i was away. tank was in the dark for 3 full days. i have minimal soft corals; just a couple of mushrooms, a bit of xenia sp. and some other polyps. they werent very happy, some were closed up and once i got a light back on my shrooms were hyper-extending, they took a few days to start looking normal again, but none died.

im not sure what the 'longest period of time' they could go without light is, but i would say that having no light for any period of time outside your normal photoperiod is a bad thing. i dont know how long it would take for them to go past the point of no return so to speak, but mine survived three days.

i now have spare bulbs on hand (of course i should have had some to start with) so if it ever happens again, it should be just a simple matter of replacing the bulb.

oh and if it does happen while you are away, its probably nicer not to know until you get home. i spent the last 3 days of my holiday stressed about my tank, and stranded on the other side of the country feeling utterly powerless! none of my housemates have a clue about my tank except for telling me that 'nemo's light didnt come on', which made me want to cry. i actually got out the phone book and sourced a spare bulb to take home with me, hoping that it wasnt the ballast that had broken... sorry i know this is a bit of a rant, but it was very frustrating at the time.

i think i was lucky to come out of the whole thing with my tank intact.

Archived