ReefCleaners.org

Hardy stocking options for 13.5 gallon reef with invertebrates?

???

Prices of fish, inverts, and corals change from season to season, yr to yr, and even depending where you are located.

2 yrs ago here, a superman discosoma mushroom went for $40/frag, last yr you couldn't find them, this year $19. 

Torches 2 yrs ago $40 - $100, now $79 - $450

These are just 2 examples of how pricing changes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Prices of fish, inverts, and corals change from season to season, yr to yr, and even depending where you are located.

2 yrs ago here, a superman discosoma mushroom went for $40/frag, last yr you couldn't find them, this year $19. 

Torches 2 yrs ago $40 - $100, now $79 - $450

These are just 2 examples of how pricing changes.

Fair point. I have noticed prices change constantly so I’ll edit the inexpensive part out.

Many damsels are hardy. Some are inexpensive fish. Most are very territorial and get mean. Easy hardy corals can be found as soft and LPS. Mushrooms, GSP (green star polyps), Kenya tree, Xenia, toadstool. There are many more. Prices and availability vary. Try to find a local reef club or someone local selling coral. 

TerraIncognita

you said "unique" changed my whole post lmfao.

Zoa's can have very unique colorins

Blastos, Chalice, Ricordia, and Acans can as well.

If you want unique corals, look at coral speciality LFS's around you, or online stores like WWC or something similar.

Unique Nano Fish are expensive af. Like 100+, but you can find them generally only online. A lot of LFS dont like stocking them since fish are so finicky, they dont want to lose that much on stock.

Unique inverts are more plentiful than anything, however because they're unique they require a lot of special care and attention. Sexy Shrimp, Pom Pom Crabs, Mantis Shrimp, the list goes on and on. Again most LFS's wont keep these in store.

3 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

If you want unique corals, look at coral speciality LFS's around you, or online stores like WWC or something similar.

Unique Nano Fish are expensive af. Like 100+, but you can find them generally only online. A lot of LFS dont like stocking them since fish are so finicky, they dont want to lose that much on stock.

Unique inverts are more plentiful than anything, however because they're unique they require a lot of special care and attention. Sexy Shrimp, Pom Pom Crabs, Mantis Shrimp, the list goes on and on. Again most LFS's wont keep these in store.

Unique and less common comes with a higher price tag, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

I’ve heard sexy shrimp constantly eat coral, how true is that if you have any experience with them?

3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Many damsels are hardy. Some are inexpensive fish. Most are very territorial and get mean. Easy hardy corals can be found as soft and LPS. Mushrooms, GSP (green star polyps), Kenya tree, Xenia, toadstool. There are many more. Prices and availability vary. Try to find a local reef club or someone local selling coral. 

I know of an LFS that carries beautiful coral frags but I’m cheap af so saltwater might be a problem.

Sexy shrimp are for sale pretty often, just not at chain pet stores. They're really cool, but will go after zoas, and potentially other corals, if not fed enough. Or for no evident reason. People have varying experiences with them.

A few ricordea and an anemone shrimp of some sort would make a really nice little display. Pom-pom crabs are another good option. A porcelain crab and a rock flower anemone would be fun, too. None of them are super rare, but they're all interesting. Bumblebee shrimp are really unusual, they're worth a try.

A money cowrie (ReefCleaners has them sometimes) is a cool, rare animal that makes a great algae-eating member of your cleanup crew. I had one in my old tank. ReefCleaners also has pitho crabs, though I've never kept those, and a type of small serpent starfish. 

Circus gobies are fairly rare, very cool, and should be semi-visible. You have to build them an overhang or two to hang out under, and then you can see them where they sit. 

• Like 2
TerraIncognita
50 minutes ago, ??? said:

I know of an LFS that carries beautiful coral frags but I’m cheap af so saltwater might be a problem.

If you're cheap af get out rn bro XDDDD

Or find a REALLY good friend who's also in the hobby. Most Saltwater long term hobbyist have tons of extra and lesser gear laying around that they've upgraded time and time again, but are still GREAT pieces of equipment.

If he's really experienced he'll even frag you off some of his higher priced unique corals himself I'm sure.

If he's a good friend.....

Eh, you can get some good stuff for not too much, especially if you wait for sales. Or look on forums like this, and on Craigslist, for people selling stuff they have extra of. 

TerraIncognita
4 minutes ago, Tired said:

Eh, you can get some good stuff for not too much, especially if you wait for sales. Or look on forums like this, and on Craigslist, for people selling stuff they have extra of. 

Send me the receipt of the last coral you bought and we'll talk then.

19 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

If you're cheap af get out rn bro XDDDD

Or find a REALLY good friend who's also in the hobby. Most Saltwater long term hobbyist have tons of extra and lesser gear laying around that they've upgraded time and time again, but are still GREAT pieces of equipment.

If he's really experienced he'll even frag you off some of his higher priced unique corals himself I'm sure.

If he's a good friend.....

lmao I’ve gone in too deep I have to get that reef tank now

TerraIncognita
53 minutes ago, ??? said:

lmao I’ve gone in too deep I have to get that reef tank now

Honestly man, they’re the best.

everything else is boring after saltwater (fish/aquarium wise)

just make sure you’re ready for it in the heart haha.

If you’re gonna drop $180 on that Fluval, I urge you to shop around on Craigslist or Offer Up for a 10-20g used Innovative Marine, Waterbox, or JBJ Cube.

Much better systems, used you can probably snag one used around $200 - $250 with a light

New they’re gonna be $350-400 cheapest with a light.