Coral Vue Hydros

Size matters

FollyFish

I just wanted to share a "my bad" moment. I was at my LFS and they were having a sale on acanthophyllia. I'm like oooh pretty, staring at one thats about 2in in diameter. I ask the clerk at the store..."is it like a scoly?" He said yup, you treat it like you would a scoly. Me..ok cool I will take the one with green strips, I have the perfect spot for it. 

I take it home add it to the tank in my perfect spot and then take off for the next 10hrs. I came home look at my new coral and it is now a bit bigger then a hockey puck, and touching 2 walls and a corner of a rock.

Turns out these guys get big, really big when they are puffed up and happy. So now I've rearrange my tank in order to make room for the not like a scoly, acanthophyllia. 

So, ya when finding that perfect spot...size matters. LOL. 

15981277141974961332544007700225.jpg

15981277727517433755982578672910.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
55 minutes ago, FollyFish said:

I just wanted to share a "my bad" moment. I was at my LFS and they were having a sale on acanthophyllia. I'm like oooh pretty, staring at one thats about 2in in diameter. I ask the clerk at the store..."is it like a scoly?" He said yup, you treat it like you would a scoly. Me..ok cool I will take the one with green strips, I have the perfect spot for it. 

I take it home add it to the tank in my perfect spot and then take off for the next 10hrs. I came home look at my new coral and it is now a bit bigger then a hockey puck, and touching 2 walls and a corner of a rock.

Turns out these guys get big, really big when they are puffed up and happy. So now I've rearrange my tank in order to make room for the not like a scoly, acanthophyllia. 

So, ya when finding that perfect spot...size matters. LOL. 

15981277141974961332544007700225.jpg

15981277727517433755982578672910.jpg

Lol. I almost got one today and realized i just don't have room in my tank for it.

• Like 2

I always pick out the Smallest Frag at the Aquarium Store, usually I can get them to discount it below the advertised price. I have better luck growing out, rather than starting big. 

• Like 1
On 8/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, DSA65PRO said:

I always pick out the Smallest Frag at the Aquarium Store, usually I can get them to discount it below the advertised price. I have better luck growing out, rather than starting big. 

Thats what I do as well. With this guy I thought he would behave like a scoly and slowly grow out over time. Seriously my bad.