Cultivated Reef

Pairing non-Ocellaris / Percula Clowns?

Zionas

Is the process as straightforward for the other complexes as it is for the Ocellaris and Percula Clownfish? Are any of these other complexes risky to have with most other fish (non-Clownfish).

Maroon clowns can be extremely aggressive, towards just about anything they object to. The rest are all at least somewhat territorial, but I don't think there are any commonly kept species, other than the maroons, that are too prone to threatening other fish.

And as far as I know, yes, pairing is as simple as putting one medium/large and one small together. 

12 minutes ago, Tired said:

Maroon clowns can be extremely aggressive, towards just about anything they object to. The rest are all at least somewhat territorial, but I don't think there are any commonly kept species, other than the maroons, that are too prone to threatening other fish.

And as far as I know, yes, pairing is as simple as putting one medium/large and one small together. 

I see. Thanks. What about say I get 2 Clarkiis / Tomato Clowns both around 2-2.5” long?

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes
10 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I see. Thanks. What about say I get 2 Clarkiis / Tomato Clowns both around 2-2.5” long?

I'd definitely make sure one is bigger than the other by around .5". I got a 1 1/2" and a 1" Clarkii and there was still a lot of aggression, even with the smaller one backing down and submitting. Two equally sized ones would probably be a death sentence for one or both.

Yeah, you want a clear winner. Clownfish are all born male, and the larger, more dominant of a duo becomes female. For the least stress, pick ones with a clear size difference, so it's already clear which one will be female. That way they don't have to fight about it. You preferably want your smaller one to be fairly young, too, to limit the chance it ever had an opportunity to become female. Or you want it to have always not been the largest in the group.