inTank Media Baskets

Opinion on Aerometers?

Bobc

Hey guys,

I recently found an aerometer in one of my storage boxes - it's in very good condition. I plan to use it to test the salinity of my reef tank.

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of these things vs. a hydrometer/refractometer/ect?

Image below as reference..

download.gif

• Like 1

I use something similar, i use mine to test the temperature and salinity. I think i purchased it from a how brewing company a while ago. I've often found that they are relatively reliable, I used to use a Refractometer but when i noticed that mine was pretty close to the refracto readings I sold it off and stuck with the brewing item.

• Thanks 1

How is it calibrated?

10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I use something similar, i use mine to test the temperature and salinity. I think i purchased it from a how brewing company a while ago. I've often found that they are relatively reliable, I used to use a Refractometer but when i noticed that mine was pretty close to the refracto readings I sold it off and stuck with the brewing item.

I think you're using a hydrometer, not an aerometer.  (Right?)

8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Measures temp, salinity, suger/alcohol content and density. I just call it "dippy stick" 

An aerometer is (apparently, according to Google) for measuring air density though.