Coral Vue Hydros

2 clownfish and a question

Reefer-begginer

Reefer-begginer

Hey guys, so I have a question that I would like some advice on.

My 36g tank has 2 occerlarus clownfish ( fake percula, a green LTA and random assortment of corals.

I want to know how you guys get your clowns to host a anemone or to atleast get 2 clowns to host it as one of mine hosts the anemone and another hosts a frogspawn/hammer coral ( I want to say its a hammer but I could be wrong ), and as well one clownfish stays away from the other even tho they aren't a mated pair or have done anything to make a hierarchy chain. ( I have a purple dottyback In the tank that makes it hard to add new fish into it ).

http://imgur.com/gallery/E8Gn9DE

Here are the photos of the clownfish/anemone and coral they host.

NoOneLikesADryTang

It’s a frogspawn, but it looks nice. 

I’ve heard of people taping pictures of clowns in anemones to the side of their tank, or playing a video in front of the tank. I’ve never done it, and got lucky that my clowns loved anemones since I’ve had them. Good luck! Hopefully someone will chime in with some great advice. 

Reefer-begginer
Just now, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It’s a frogspawn, but it looks nice. 

I’ve heard of people taping pictures of clowns in anemones to the side of their tank, or playing a video in front of the tank. I’ve never done it, and got lucky that my clowns loved anemones since I’ve had them. Good luck! Hopefully someone will chime in with some great advice. 

yea the anemone ( unfortunately ) is a new one as the old one I had for 6 months had died 2 days ago. ( I know I quickly got a new anemone, but I took the precautions to prevent it from dying quickly in the new home. I.e drip acclimation, ammonia remover, and about a 15g water change to get the salinty back down to 1.023 ).

Oddly enough even with the new anemone being added yesterday, the same clownfish that hosted the original went straight for the new one within a few minutes of being added

4 hours ago, Reefer-begginer said:

yea the anemone ( unfortunately ) is a new one as the old one I had for 6 months had died 2 days ago. ( I know I quickly got a new anemone, but I took the precautions to prevent it from dying quickly in the new home. I.e drip acclimation, ammonia remover, and about a 15g water change to get the salinty back down to 1.023 ).

Oddly enough even with the new anemone being added yesterday, the same clownfish that hosted the original went straight for the new one within a few minutes of being added

They generally will choose to host what they like.

My clown couldn't be othered with the 3 anemones but loved the duncans and xenia.

What was your salinity at? 1.025 or 1.026 is the go to for reefs, 1.023 is for fish only.

Changing salinity too quickly can have negative effects.

Reefer-begginer

it was 1.028

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

They generally will choose to host what they like.

My clown couldn't be othered with the 3 anemones but loved the duncans and xenia.

What was your salinity at? 1.025 or 1.026 is the go to for reefs, 1.023 is for fish only.

Changing salinity too quickly can have negative effects.

but I changed it over the course of 14 hours slowly 

1 hour ago, Reefer-begginer said:

it was 1.028

but I changed it over the course of 14 hours slowly 

Going from 1.028 to 1.023 should be done slowly on a daily basis.

• Like 1

Patience is the Key, also it helps to feed the Clownfish Favorite food to the Anemone, while the Clown Fish is hungry. Try some Brine Shrimp Frozen or Live. Frozen Mystic Shrimp is also good. Remember most Clownfish are Aquacultured, and may not have been near an Anemone for many generations. Also they initially get stung by the Anemone. 

• Like 1