Top Shelf Aquatics

Show your Sump.

DSA65PRO

081320j.jpg

A single baffle to maintain a constant water level for the skimmer, and to separate the return section.  There's a heater in it and, of course, the drain pipe.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

081320j.jpg

A single baffle to maintain a constant water level for the skimmer, and to separate the return section.  There's a heater in it and, of course, the drain pipe.

Pleaseeee clean that thing lol. 

• Haha 1

Sump is rated for a 75 to 100G tank that I have on my 50G LPS dominant reef. It has a filter sock with carbon and phosgard bags, a skimmer rated for 50G (will up size when I have money) and a uv sterilizer for 50G. I modified that back of the main section to create a pod condo/rubble pile. 

20200820_210508.jpg

22 hours ago, seabass said:

081320j.jpg

That's a sump design that I can appreciate.  Classic skimmer.  That pump is bullet-proof too...I love a Mag on return pump duty.

For my own version of that sump, the only change I'd make is that I'd eliminate the baffles.  They take up space and limit flexibility.  They also prevent a single powerhead from keeping the whole sump clean/feeding the corals.  I'd give the baffles' job to the ATO – maintaining a steady water level (+/- 0.125") is already in it's job description anyway.  Why pay twice for the same work???  😉

(In fact that's how the sump on my old system ran for a good ten years....tho I didn't add the powerhead until the last five years or so.  Duh.)

• Like 1