ReefCleaners.org

Wanting to make the dive...

k_thomas

I'm a new member to this forum, but have been browsing this forum board for the past year. 

A recent hobby I've picked up is replicating or creating micro environments. I have a bioactive crested gecko terrarium, an aquascaped betta tank, and a "tortoise table" for our desert tortoises (they will be moving outside soon, for which I will create a whole desert landscape environment for them). In the future I would love to create a little rainforest environment for poison dart frogs, and the penultimate, a mini coral reef tank. I just love creating, maintaining and enjoying micro environments. A live coral reef would be absolutely stunning to look at and enjoy, which is the main draw for me. 

I just revamped our betta fish tank, and that's got me back to lusting after a coral reef tank. I keep talking myself out of it due to the commitment and fiscal expense (I'm about to go back to school to pursue a masters in landscape architecture), but perhaps I can start planning a tank out, and start really slowly with one as my expenses allow. I'm probably still months to years away from starting this journey, but I figured I would start this thread to at least put my ideas to paper, in a public forum full of knowledgeable hobbyists that can help guide me along the way. 

Initially this is what I'm think for a setup. My goal is to keep a clownfish or two, a modest CUC, and to start off with some easy corals. I want to keep the budget somewhat modest (of which I've yet to define), without skimping on where it counts. A modest sized AIO seems like a good way of accomplishing a nice setup on a budget. As much as I would love to have a beautiful and clean ~40 gal tank with a dedicated and hidden sump, I think a smaller AIO makes more sense to start with as I learn this hobby, and while I'm fiscally constrained. 

Tank:

UNS 30A - It's a small AIO cube tank, 5.5 gal in the front with a 1.5 gal volume in the sump/chambers section. Alternatively, I could go with their 45A and 60A AIO tank setups which are bigger in volume, with the 60A being a 20 gallon tank. I'm not sure if there's much of a difference in difficulty of maintenance between a ~7 gallon tank versus a 20 gallon tank, though I know some suggest that it's easier to maintain and keep parameters in spec with a larger volume of water, though I personally don't know how much truth there is to that. Perhaps some can pipe in on that. UNS is a brand that I recently bought a tank from to use for my upgraded betta setup, and I really love the quality of the tank. I see that they are also a board sponsor here, which is a plus. 

Light: 

This is where I start to get lost. I'm currently using a Current USA light for my bioactive crested gecko terrarium, I really like that light and see they make affordable marine reef options, but they would only fit the bigger tanks on my list, not the UNS 30A. The Aqua Illumination Prime 16 HD seems like a nice light that could work with the UNS 30A, but I'm really open to options. Kessil seems to be one of the more respected reef lighting brands, but I would rather not have to pay Kessil prices.

Powerhead:

I must admit that I love the clean designs of powerheads like the AI Nero 5 or the Ecotech Vortech MP10QD, but these seem excessive for my planned tank size. I wish there was smaller versions of these powerheads, or really another elegant and compact powerhead that has a small footprint and adequate flow rate for a small tank. Most other powerheads currently available seem unelegant, bulky and just plain ugly, IMO. Current USA has nano reef tank bundles that include a LED light and powerhead, but again, not sure if appropriate for my application. 

Filtration & Misc:

I want to keep things as simple as possible. I know that there will have to be some necessary upgrades to the UNS AIO tanks, as they are mostly designed for freshwater systems. I know other members here that have used the UNS 30A have had to upgrade the pump, it looks like @dnadrifter is using a Cobalt Mini MJ 606 return pump, and I'll probably follow his lead on that. Honestly I'll probably mimic his entire sump area setup, no point in reinventing the wheel, unless there's better routes to go. 

Livestock and corals:

1-2x clownfish (not sure if a 5.5 gal tank is big enough for two), a modest CUC of which I'll determine in the future, corals I will start off with some easy ones (yet to be determined) and go slowly with corals as my comfort and experience grows. I'll probably start with live rock and a sand of some sort, plus the necessary supplies to cycle the tank.

Anyways, let me know what you think of this rough plan, and please help me to fill in the gaps I've presented above. Also, feel free to critique or provide advice as you see fit. I don't have my mind set on anything, and I'm always open for advice and learning. I'm not sure when I'm going to make the leap, whether it's going to start next month or a year or two from now, I just know that it's going to eventually happen, and I may as well start planning out and preparing for my eventual leap into the hobby 😀

Since I've talked about my other projects, here are some pictures:

IMG_20200819_185457.thumb.jpg.1c2321590909ac7dd5d07b06a87d913b.jpg

IMG_20200819_185516.thumb.jpg.8105937c0154f49e1ca043e3a6fda99a.jpgIMG_20200704_115533-01.thumb.jpeg.a62a7241c8baa54332fb9354fbc2d1d0.jpeg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Wow, love your current tanks.  :welcome: to Nano-Reef.com!

Thank you!

I'm happy to be here, there's lots of knowledge on this board and some amazing tanks! 

Not the same as a reef tank, but planted the Betta tank today:

IMG_20200820_183020.thumb.jpg.3a8c0022cf1d6e6892166d222f2d0948.jpgIMG_20200820_183013.thumb.jpg.d67ef93e2add47dd8c50416e6de36d3e.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful tanks!

You can't go wrong with an AI prime. 

5g isn't big enough for two clowns...at least not when they start to grow. Especially since you lose space in the chambers.

I am using a 606 in my 5g as well and for a powerhead I chose the KPS pump as it is one of the smallest controllable pump.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Beautiful tanks!

You can't go wrong with an AI prime. 

5g isn't big enough for two clowns...at least not when they start to grow. Especially since you lose space in the chambers.

I am using a 606 in my 5g as well and for a powerhead I chose the KPS pump as it is one of the smallest controllable pump.

Thank you!

Technically the UNS 30A is a 7 gallon tank, 5.5 gallons in the front "swimming area" and 1.5 gallons for the chamber. I wouldn't be surprised if that's too much for two clowns,  and with all my micro environments, my first priority is ensuring adequate care for the animals. I'll plan on sticking with one.

I'll check out that KPS pump, thanks! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, k_thomas said:

Thank you!

Technically the UNS 30A is a 7 gallon tank, 5.5 gallons in the front "swimming area" and 1.5 gallons for the chamber. I wouldn't be surprised if that's too much for two clowns,  and with all my micro environments, my first priority is ensuring adequate care for the animals. I'll plan on sticking with one.

I'll check out that KPS pump, thanks! 

You could probably get a tiny goby in there with the clown.

Greenbandeds and neon gobies have a lot of personality. They hoping all over the place checking ya out and begging for food.

• Like 1

I love personality, I'll have to check out those neon gobies!

For powerheads, I see that AI is coming out with a Nero 3 at some point in the hopefully near future, so that's probably going on the short list for powerheads...