Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tips for a slightly bleached RFA?

Tired

Still not sure what went wrong. I've been trying to figure out if I could have done anything differently. If I have to deal with a bleached RFA again (and, depending on the price, I might try!), I think I'll avoid feeding it anything more substantial than maybe a tiny dusting of reef roids.

I don't think the mysis helped this one, but I don't think that was what killed it, either. I think it had something badly wrong with it. I'd think the effects of feeding mysis it couldn't digest, if it didn't just spit it out, would be something akin to what happens if you feed an anemone bad food. When I read about people feeding anemones silversides and having them die, the anemone usually seems to just sort of shrivel up and die. It doesn't spit up pieces of its own flesh for a few days and then turn itself inside-out. Then again, I could be wrong. It did seem to be doing okay at first... though it never did fully splay out like anemones usually do. Maybe it wasn't quite as okay as I thought. Wonder if it was damaged somewhere in the supply chain? Maybe somebody dropped it on the floor or something.

Well, it was worth a try. Thanks for the advice, everyone. Hopefully they can be useful to someone in the future. 

6 minutes ago, Tired said:

Maybe it wasn't quite as okay as I thought.

Without needing to point at the specific instance where it happened, this anemone was moved a lot recently....every instance was a chance for damage since being "peeled up" is really tough on an anemone....so your theory is good, IMO.

The LFS I got it from is usually very good, I don't think they damaged it. Though they do have a newish guy who I don't think has much saltwater experience. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe it was 'captured' too roughly?

I'm pretty sure I didn't hurt it, I was as careful as possible and it already had the odd gut structure visible, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that anyone go fiddling around with where an anemone is placed. I don't know if an anemone with a survivable level of troubles would be OK with a porcelain crab or not, but I honestly don't regret confiscating it from the crab. It was extending less than before when the crab was on it, and after being moved, extended a bit more until it started to go downhill. 

If I get a sickly anemone again, I'm going to put it in the cup right off, so the crab can't walk on it. Then I won't have to worry about if it needs to be moved. After it's had some time to get used to the tank, I can just put the cup on the sandbed so the nem can crawl out. And I am willing to try this again- depending on the state of a nem, it might be worth a shot, even with the knowledge that it might have something underlying that can't be helped. 

It's too bad I don't have a viable way to do an autopsy. I'd be curious what was wrong. But a healthy, intact anemone would be hard enough to dissect, let alone the little flat disc this one turned into. 

• Like 1