inTank Media Baskets

Ammonia false positive readings?

Parfitt1234

Hello

i have a 100L tank with two clowns and 4 chromis in. It’s been running nearly 3 months now and my tank pretty much always shows 0.2 ammonia with the Red Sea ammonia test. I do use prime a lot and do weekly water changes. Just wondering if anyone knows anything if prime gives a false reading of ammonia. The seachem badge I have shows <0.02 ammonia and I know that prime converts ammonia to ammonium.

nitrite is 0 and nitrate around 0.5ppm

it’s just getting annoying that even after water changes I still have this reading

any help would be appreciated!

Prime and other ammonia detoxifiers will affect most reagent based ammonia test kits.  It's not a certain manufacturer's problem, it's just the way it is.  I'd trust the Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.

1 hour ago, Parfitt1234 said:

i have a 100L tank with two clowns and 4 chromis in. It’s been running nearly 3 months

That's a fairly heavy bio-load for a 26 gallon tank.  I'm sure that also has something to do with it.

I assume that you have sufficient live rock in your tank; hope so anyways.  At 3 months old, chances are that while the ammonia level may not be extremely toxic, it could still be detectable.

If you haven't had a death, or have recently added more livestock, I would tell you not to worry so much.  Keep up on your water changes and hopefully things will be fine.

28 minutes ago, seabass said:

Prime and other ammonia detoxifiers will affect most reagent based ammonia test kits.  It's not a certain manufacturer's problem, it's just the way it is.  I'd trust the Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.

That's a fairly heavy bio-load for a 26 gallon tank.  I'm sure that also has something to do with it.

I assume that you have sufficient live rock in your tank; hope so anyways.  At 3 months old, chances are that while the ammonia level may not be extremely toxic, it could still be detectable.

If you haven't had a death, or have recently added more livestock, I would tell you not to worry so much.  Keep up on your water changes and hopefully things will be fine.

Thanks.

i haven’t had a death and I’m not adding more livestock. And yes I do have some live rock in the tank and running a cannister filter which filters 1000L an hour 

As Seabass mentioned, when using Prime most liquid reagent tests will show inaccurate ammonia readings.

The 2 that don't are Seachems kit and the ammonia badge.

• Like 1
On 8/19/2020 at 11:56 PM, Clown79 said:

As Seabass mentioned, when using Prime most liquid reagent tests will show inaccurate ammonia readings.

The 2 that don't are Seachems kit and the ammonia badge.

Do you think I should stop using prime for a bit? I use it probably daily. My nitrite and nitrates are fine it’s just the lingering ammonia reading on my Red Sea kit. My badge shows 0 and the free ammonia seachem test is showing 0 aswell?

21 minutes ago, Parfitt1234 said:

Do you think I should stop using prime for a bit? I use it probably daily. My nitrite and nitrates are fine it’s just the lingering ammonia reading on my Red Sea kit. My badge shows 0 and the free ammonia seachem test is showing 0 aswell?

What do you use prime for? Just the ammonia spike or for another reason?

Okay it’s just cause it still is showing on my Red Sea kit (the ammonia) but the badge and the free ammonia seachem kit is showing 0. So shall I just use it as a water conditioner now?

1 minute ago, Parfitt1234 said:

Okay it’s just cause it still is showing on my Red Sea kit (the ammonia) but the badge and the free ammonia seachem kit is showing 0. So shall I just use it as a water conditioner now?

Thats because of the Prime.

It takes over 48hrs of no dosing before a typical liquid reagent test will read proper ammonia readings.