inTank Media Baskets

Can supplements go bad?

embl05

Hello!

I have an old bottle of calcium supplement from red sea. It's about 8 years old if you look at the expiring date. Can they really go bad?

I'm trying to keep my tank at a budget and really don't have money for a new flask...

Best regards Emil!

6 hours ago, embl05 said:

Hello!

I have an old bottle of calcium supplement from red sea. It's about 8 years old if you look at the expiring date. Can they really go bad?

I'm trying to keep my tank at a budget and really don't have money for a new flask...

Best regards Emil!

If it has an expiration date, then i would assume yes they can go bad.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

It's probably better than nothing, but I don't know that you should rely on it. You could always test it- get a bucket of water, test the calcium level, add an appropriate amount of the supplement to raise it by a known amount, then see if it's gone up that known amount.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

A powder like calcium chloride and sodium bicarb do not expire.

A liquid suppliment may evaporate over time or if it has other trace elements or organics in it...it could expire though probably not be dangerous. 

• Like 1
On 8/18/2020 at 12:50 PM, embl05 said:

Hello!

Best regards Emil!

Does it say "Expiration Date"?  Otherwise I would presume that it's just a fill date.  That's more for problem tracking in the event of contamination or misformulation...not freshness assurance.

An ordinary calcium supplement can't "go bad".  Maybe it's not an ordinary calcium supplement though?  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have a question about the expiration date of one product too. A few months ago, my friend purchased Laxogenin for gaining muscle mass from this store: https://purerawz.co/. I am happy with his results, so I decided to buy Laxogenin too, but my friend said that he has several cans of this product and he could give it to me. Do you think it is possible to take these pills after 7-8 months from the day he opened the package? My doctor has approved the use of Laxogenin, but I can't find information about the expiration date of this medication.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:10 PM, jennvasu said:

I have a question about the expiration date of one product too.

This is all that post said when I replied to it. Weird that they went back and edited it- I guess they forgot to post their actual ad. 

• Like 1