SaltCritters.com

What to feed sand sifting starfish

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hi everyone, when I bought my starfish I did not realize that it would starve to death in a small aquarium. I should've done more research. What should I feed them to keep them alive?

Snow_Phoenix
7 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hi everyone, when I bought my starfish I did not realize that it would starve to death in a small aquarium. I should've done more research. What should I feed them to keep them alive?

I'm not sure if they can be target-fed anything. If I'm not mistaken, they sift through the sand in search for microfauna and feed on that. They can also deplete the sandbed very quickly of the microfauna, which is why they eventually starve. 

RoyalGramma001
On 8/18/2020 at 10:08 AM, mitten_reef said:

return to where you bought him from for some store credit?  Nothing wrong with admitting that you can't properly care for the animal.  

my lfs doesn't accept returns.

It really bothers me that importers still bring in all these animals that are known to not really survive in tanks.  Flame scallops are also notoriously bad with insane death rates, but somehow I can find them at all 10 local LFS stores in large amounts.

#saveourstarfish

RoyalGramma001
11 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

It really bothers me that importers still bring in all these animals that are known to not really survive in tanks.  Flame scallops are also notoriously bad with insane death rates, but somehow I can find them at all 10 local LFS stores in large amounts.

#saveourstarfish

Wasn't aware of these facts and I'm super salty that the lfs lied to me definitely will never get a starfish again.😡

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

In the past I've attempted to stick a steak of frozen silverside I cut using scissors and burying it in the sand bed. After that, I hope it works.

My only thought would be to scatter some sort of fine powdery food, like reef roids, across the sandbed around it. But given that they're made to eat constantly, I'm not sure that'll do much good. And they will definitely eat most if not all of the beneficial stuff out of your sandbed, so they aren't even good for your tank.