Cultivated Reef

Salty Lagoon (30G)

SaltyGallon

... A long overdue tank upgrade!

I've wanted to upgrade to a bigger tank for some time now but living in a small flat we're quite restricted on space. I love the aesthetic of tidepool/lagoon style tanks and this tank should tick the boxes of being a "bigger tank" and not taking up too much room - with display and sump capacity it will be around 30G, which is a total luxury considering my largest tank to date has been 10G!

After slimming down my coral collection in recent months I've got a few favourite corals left in my two existing tanks - I'm very much taking a less is more approach with this one and planning on all of the corals being super bright, but also shooting for a natural aesthetic of a couple of bommies/islands covered in plating caps and some choice SPS bits. The plan is plenty of colourful monti caps, as well as my favourite higher-end mushrooms and a BTA.

Various kit etc. listed below - most of it is sourced already and as I write this the postman has literally just delivered the plumbing parts! The tank and sump have both been built by a company here in the UK called NACD Aquariums and I've built the stand and will be priming it tonight. So very much a work in progress, but hopefully a good time to start a journal - thanks for tagging along 🙂 

Kit 

Custom 60x50x30cm 24 (US) gallon display

Custom 45x30x35cm 12 (US) gallon sump

Custom built stand - 1m tall

AI Hydra 26 HD LED

Jebao 2020 DCW 2000 Return

Jebao SOW-4 Wavemaker

Jebao DP3 Dosing Pump

AquaMedic Titanium 100w Heater

Inkbird ITC-308 Temp Controller

Auto Aqua Smart Micro ATO

Filtration

Caribsea Life (Dry) Rock 

Caribsea Arag Alive Fiji Pink Sand

Bubble Magus Curve 3.5 Skimmer

Bubble Magus 4" filter socks and holder

Tunze 'Eco Chic' LED

2x Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Blocks

A big ball of chaeto!

Planned inhabitants (to be decided)

Pair of black photon clownfish

Pink streaked wrasse

Tailspot/lawnmower/starry blenny

A couple more fish...

Fire shrimp and a couple of red leg hermits

Various snails, but certainly turbos and ceriths

... Show stoppers!

A rose or black widow BTA

A few classic sticks e.g. Bali slimer, brightly coloured A. millepora and maybe some Seriatopora

Some choice mushrooms inc tie dye jawbreaker and some nice ultra discosoma/rhodactis 

A medley of brightly coloured monti caps inc Crazy T, as well as M. setosa and M. stellata

• Like 6

All slooowly coming together, just a few bits outstanding now. I say a few bits... I still need to sort my plumbing and scape! I'm also waiting on my other half to pick the colour for the stand - I think it will end up being off-white and the front panel will be oiled ply.

All being well the tank might be wet by the middle of next week, fingers crossed. Build pics to follow!

• Like 2

A bit of Saturday morning aquascaping - this is the Caribsea Life Rock (dry rock). Arrived at three islands as the final design - some nice swim throughs which will hopefully fill in with monti caps. The spiky lines are sticks, the clumps are caps, and the red and green dots are mushrooms. Seperate island for a BTA front right and room for a few sneaky gorgs in the back 🙂

IMG_20200822_095825_388.thumb.jpg.dfd2232d5bda7a9c4cde9e27cc23f4a8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Thanks Mitten. Plenty of tedious stand prep done this weekend but we're nearly at the fun part. I just need to sort some wood to go under the sump tomorrow and then it'll be on to plumbing. Pics of the scape in situ to follow - looking good I think 😊

• Like 2

As promised...! I was worried the left rock would be too tall (the tank's only 30cm tall!) but happy with the height now it's in the tank. The stand will have a sheet of Danish oiled ply to cover the front 🙂

20200824_092428.thumb.jpg.f0882487d22709c5ca0d3729ebee4116.jpg

20200824_092435.thumb.jpg.46bfb624b41d5663e4b7d9921f27fabc.jpg

20200824_092448.thumb.jpg.b5c70a172b37c1242e6c80fd529bf68f.jpg

20200824_092454.thumb.jpg.53d0d8ad1e7731b1e079408825570088.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Coming along nicely

Thank you mate - a slow burner at the mo. I went to start the plumbing yesterday and Charterhouse had sent the wrong tank unions - but replacements in the post 🙂

Hoping to sort the plumbing tomorrow and do a test fill... All being well it might be properly filled by Friday! 🤞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, SaltyGallon said:

Thank you mate - a slow burner at the mo. I went to start the plumbing yesterday and Charterhouse had sent the wrong tank unions - but replacements in the post 🙂

Hoping to sort the plumbing tomorrow and do a test fill... All being well it might be properly filled by Friday! 🤞

I dont know anyone who actually received what they ordered from that store.

But nice size and great looking build, i will be following with interest

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I dont know anyone who actually received what they ordered from that store.

But nice size and great looking build, i will be following with interest

No, but at least their customer service is decent!

Another clanger today - the postman arrived with a 3D printed random flow nozzle from a seller called "d-flow-designs" on eBay and it doesn't fit snug onto the 1/2" loc-line i.e. it can't be fixed in position and just sits limp? I've messaged the seller and they suggested that it must be because my 1/2" loc-line is different from theirs.... Riiiiiiight... 💩

• Haha 1

I took the afternoon off work to get the plumbing sorted today... I think it's alright - my first time plumbing, so I hope it's watertight!

The plumbing is Herbie style with a primary drain, emergency drain and return line in 25mm PVC. There's a double union ball valve on the primary drain and unions on the emergency drain and return line. The stand is nice and tall so I've tucked the return line away up the top of the stand - which keeps it out the way a bit.

Not perfect I'm sure, but I'll take it for a first go. Kept the drains straight/direct and got two 90° joints on the return - which is a DC pump. I'm just hoping it's leak proof haha... Was nice and liberal with the primer and PVC glue.

Leak test tomorrow 🤞🏼

IMG_20200826_162533_923.thumb.jpg.190862150939e5e0958dabf68a6a6813.jpg

IMG_20200826_163505_003.thumb.jpg.72d862c3572b528402674fe99e73a8cb.jpg

IMG_20200826_163432_933.thumb.jpg.188820081d55d1197e26b4ebf35442b7.jpg

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks awesome. Good luck with the leak test.

Thanks Deb. Fingers crossed...! Am quite apprehensive given its my first go at it lol

• Like 1

We passed the leak test...! Such a relief 😂

I've just been tinkering with the ball valve and pump to get the optimum return flow/water level - it seems to be a bit of a dark art, but am so impressed with how quiet the drain is - like actually silent!

full.thumb.jpg.c86a06842fab58732c0bc9b1ac46089b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Looks good, I like the simple plumbing too

Thanks mate. I don't have the brain power for anything more complicated! 😂

• Haha 2
34 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Congratulations.

28 minutes ago, reef-luva said:

Looks AMAZING..great job!

Thanks guys - I'm currently waiting on the RODI filter to make the good stuff. The tank is 20L full and about 110L capacity... It's going to be a while till the tank's properly filled! 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Final 10L worth of saltwater going into the tank shortly - and then a good helping of bottled ammonia! With sand/rock/gubbins in place it's taken about 90L to fill 🙂

1.thumb.jpg.82fcc7f4fdc7cdce484e742849ae26d6.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.47e1cd968a059d38ba32cae0ec4aab9a.jpg

• Like 2

All okay today. I've had to tweak the return pump and primary drain flow a few times to get it right - likewise I ended up taking 1" off the drain so it sits lower in the water. I guess the return pump's just breaking in? The tanks full now and clearing nicely - with the first few nitrates making an appearance - so more pics to follow soon.

• Like 3

... Fiiiiinally got an ammonia test kit haha! We're on day 7 after dosing to 2ppm and ammonia's sat at 1.5ppm and nitrates at 25ppm. Another week and we should be there - the tank's had plenty of ATM Colony bacteria and will be getting the media from my nano in the sump today 👌🏽

Been messing around with an LED strip today, some real jedi vs. sith vibes!

20200904_124825.thumb.jpg.d9666ec60967573f01a0887ee36250e3.jpg

IMG_20200904_121854_864.thumb.jpg.bdcbd891a9ddfabdb99f8a0a0d8e4c3f.jpg

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

love that red backlight

Thanks mate, it's a bit Darth Vader isn't it! "Strobe mode" might have to come out if we have people over haha 😂

• Haha 1