inTank Media Baskets

Black Axil Chromis- Worth it?

Zionas

My LFS gets these in from Indonesia and C. viridis from the Philippines. Is it worth getting a single one of these for a dash of green? 

Are they as hardy as any other damsel? Are they as prone to uronema as C. viridis and other Chromis sp.? 

I will be having a single one so fighting won’t be an issue.

Snow_Phoenix
15 minutes ago, Zionas said:

My LFS gets these in from Indonesia and C. viridis from the Philippines. Is it worth getting a single one of these for a dash of green? 

Are they as hardy as any other damsel? Are they as prone to uronema as C. viridis and other Chromis sp.? 

I will be having a single one so fighting won’t be an issue.

I have a C. viridis. Here is how it looked like in a transparent container, under flash from my camera phone:

20200818_140304.thumb.jpg.5f0cece83db933ead26b4e716d731b4b.jpg

The color is a vivid green. But here's how the fish looks like in my DT, under LEDs:

20200818_140018.thumb.jpg.d8bc36f3124a598f5b6d0953c7aed983.jpg

It's more of a pale blue. 

It's not exactly a pretty fish in a tank, but it is a good dither fish. Temperment is peaceful if kept singly, but I have read that they do have a tendency to kill each other off if kept in a group, and the tank is too small. 

Uronema is another concern. 

I'm not too familiar with the black axil chromis, but at a passing glance, it almost looks like a C. viridis. 🤷‍♀️

9 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have a C. viridis. Here is how it looked like in a transparent container, under flash from my camera phone:

20200818_140304.thumb.jpg.5f0cece83db933ead26b4e716d731b4b.jpg

The color is a vivid green. But here's how the fish looks like in my DT, under LEDs:

20200818_140018.thumb.jpg.d8bc36f3124a598f5b6d0953c7aed983.jpg

It's more of a pale blue. 

It's not exactly a pretty fish in a tank, but it is a good dither fish. Temperment is peaceful if kept singly, but I have read that they do have a tendency to kill each other off if kept in a group, and the tank is too small. 

Uronema is another concern. 

I'm not too familiar with the black axil chromis, but at a passing glance, it almost looks like a C. viridis. 🤷‍♀️

The main difference is the black spot on the pectoral fin as well as getting to 5 inches, I think.

Has yours ever had uronema? Did you see other C. viridis with uronema at your LFS?

FF1698B7-2293-4F23-BF26-111B082534A1.png

Snow_Phoenix
14 minutes ago, Zionas said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2bThe main difference is the black spot on the pectoral fin as well as getting to 5 inches, I think.

Has yours ever had uronema? Did you see other C. viridis with uronema at your LFS?

FF1698B7-2293-4F23-BF26-111B082534A1.png

Tentatively no, mine has been healthy so far. There was a period when it did develop a small abrasion on the right side (possibly due to scraping itself on the rock), but it healed up on its own without incident. None of my other fish in my large reef have also developed uronema (touch wood). 

The chromis I purchased was in my LFS for 2 months and kept as a pet of sorts - it was originally in one of their DTs, but when they tore down the DT and sold off all the fish in that tank, this chromis was left behind. I only bought him for RM 8. And he's been mellow so far; eating well too. 

Also, I've never seen any chromises with uronema in my LFS. My store takes good care of their fish actually - granted, there are some that die upon arrival due to stress from shipping, but the workers always isolate and treat any sick fish in the store with meds. 

3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Tentatively no, mine has been healthy so far. There was a period when it did develop a small abrasion on the right side (possibly due to scraping itself on the rock), but it healed up on its own without incident. None of my other fish in my large reef have also developed uronema (touch wood). 

The chromis I purchased was in my LFS for 2 months and kept as a pet of sorts - it was originally in one of their DTs, but when they tore down the DT and sold off all the fish in that tank, this chromis was left behind. I only bought him for RM 8. And he's been mellow so far; eating well too. 

Also, I've never seen any chromises with uronema in my LFS. My store takes good care of their fish actually - granted, there are some that die upon arrival due to stress from shipping, but the workers always isolate and treat any sick fish in the store with meds. 

That’s great to know. Glad it’s doing well for you.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...