ReefCleaners.org

Dpolt's 25 Gallon SPS Reef

dpoltsdsu

Hello everyone! I'd like to welcome you to my latest build thread! I have had a couple of job changes and recently moved to a new apartment and am ready to once again setup a nano reef tank! I am very excited about this one and I hope to share everything about it on this build thread!

Here is some information on the system!

Concept -  in the past, I have generally focused on soft coral and Gorgonian systems. Many of you that have seen my threads are used to seeing large full soft coral, a type of tank that I still love. One day I plan to have a large soft coral setup, but for now, I wanted to do something different. This reef is going to be SPS dominant. I plan on utilzing the latest reef tank equipment and a lot of the knowledge I have gained over my years in the hobby! 

Tank - JBJ 25 gallon Flat Panel AIO Aquarium. 

I liked the cube dimensions of this tank and I was also a big fan of the large AIO chamber where I can fit the equipment I want to utilize!

Lighting - Radion Gen 5 XR30 Pro with diffuser upgrade. 

I was a big fan of this fixture when it came out due to the very even spread from the new layout and power of the LED's. This light is definitely overkill on this tank but my goal is to have a powerful light that can penetrate enough to easily grow SPS on the bottom as well as a light that will prevent a lot of shadowing that tends to plague a lot of LED lit SPS tanks.

Flow - 2 Reef Breeders RPM Wavemakers. 

These pumps push out a ton of water and have a very wide flow pattern which is perfect for the dimensions of this tank. I plan on running them in a linked anti-sync flow pattern to create a wide and powerful back and forth wave pattern in the reef.

Skimmer - Tunze 9004 

Tried and true quality skimmer that fits well in the back chambers.

Filtration - Chemipure Elite

I like the combo of the media in here and by getting this, I don't have to mess with Carbon and GFO ratios. 

ATO - Tunze Osmolator 

Super reliable ATO system I have used on all of my tanks.

Stay tuned for the build! 

• Like 7

The tank came in last week! It actually came brand new with the stand already built which was a nice surprise. Super excited to get this setup. The rest of the equipment will be getting here in the next couple of days.

Screenshot_20200817-195612_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

This came in today! 

Cant wait to try this out! Going to mess around with the settings a bit. I rented a par meter as well so I'm looking forward to seeing what numbers I'll be getting!

20200813_142548.jpg

• Like 2

Nice! Let us know how you like the diffuser. I am wondering how much it affects PAR and light spread since the LEDs are no longer tightly clustered in pucks

• Like 1
11 hours ago, yoshii said:

Nice! Let us know how you like the diffuser. I am wondering how much it affects PAR and light spread since the LEDs are no longer tightly clustered in pucks

Absolutely! I'll be renting a PAR meter so I'll take some measurements and post them with the diffuser and without it since I'm curious as well. Since the XR30 is a bit overkill for the tank, I'm hoping the diffuser will be good for clean, uniform lighting on the reef!

9 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Ohhhhh,this should be a good one. Following along.  

Thanks! I'm stoked for this one!

9 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Woo! New tank build! Looking forward to it

Thanks!!

For dosing on this reef I will be utilizing Tropic Marin's All-For-Reef which came in today. It is a bit pricey but it's pretty manageable in a small tank like this one and the ease of only having to dose one supplement instead of a bunch of different bottles is well worth it to me!

20200819_212818.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today's the day! I have been soaking Caribsea Shapes rock in a bucket along with Dr Tim's One and Only bacteria for a couple of months now and the reef is cycled and ready for some coral. For the aquascape, I went with a very tall arch that leaves a lot of room for coral placement and a lot of unimpeded area for flow.

I went a little overboard on adding coral to a newish tank but everything has been testing perfectly for about a month now and I feel confident the tank can handle it.

Here's a picture of the reef as of of a couple hours ago. The journey begins. I'll get a list together of the coral I added today at some point. I tried to add a good variety of color, growth patterns, and species in here!

I'll get some much better quality pictures soon.

20200902_150644.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...