SaltCritters.com

Pest on liverock in new tank?

JasonMcM

Hi everyone,

Finally set up my first saltwater tank after years of freshwater keeping. Tank been up for a little over 2 weeks and things are going okay ( I let the salinity get way too high and an slowly reigning it in ). Looked in the 20gallon just as I was going to bed and saw these tiny yellow corals (?) on the liverock. Sorry for bad quality pics. Any idea what these are and if I need to remove them? They're smaller than my pinky nail.

Cheers 

IMG_20200817_232937.jpg

IMG_20200817_232843.jpg

+1 for the Sun Coral.  They are not photosynthetic so they can be tricky to keep long term.  They need target fed at least daily or more from my research online.

They do look like sun corals. It may be good to see if you can chisel them off and give them away to someone who wants them- some people like them. They're hard to keep, though. They're non-photosynthetic, so they get none of their energy from light and all of it from food.

Thank you all for your help! I have been using Red Seas Reef Energy Plus AB+ Coral Nutrition. Is this a suitable food for them? Also, I've seen people feed their corals solid pellets. Is this liquid suppliment enough? Or do they need solids?

It depends on the coral. Some LPS like to be given larger food. The product you're describing seems to be a mix of things intended to be put into the water for your corals to soak up, not food to be put directly into their mouths.

• Thanks 1