ReefCleaners.org

Jawfish help!

Hazy

He so Friday I noticed that one of my Jawfish had its bottom fin ripped, and appeared to be in pain because his normally bright yellow head was kinda dull and washed out looking. He was eating though and I made sure he got food. Yesterday he ate and looked the same, but this morning he looks horrible! It almost looks like has been rubbing his head raw on rocks and stuff.... my first thought is that the emerald crab may have done the fin ripping and I tried to get him out of the tank on Friday but I could’nt pry him off the rock. 

I don’t believe it’s parasites because I’ve quarantined all my fish for 2 weeks before they go in the DT and I always inspect them very carefully to make sure there is not parasites... but maybe??? All the other fish are doing great, and have not sings of illness/parasites or anything. Colors are great. 

tank parameters: 

temp  76

nitrates 20ppm 

nitrites  0ppm 

while I’ve been trying to get the nitrates down, they have been at 20ppm for at least 2 months and it hasn’t ever affected anything. 

E1E336DE-EF8B-43BC-B229-4C187D26AB38.jpeg

7FC3944F-F672-4AF1-B497-BD821F073A52.jpeg

D91B5BB6-3ABC-499A-BE33-8BE31131FA00.jpeg

It's not the nitrates, that level works fine. Temperature's a couple degrees low, though. 

2 weeks isn't quite long enough to ensure no disease is present. He does look kinda sick- is he still eating today? 

What else is in the tank? 

He’s taking food if I put it directly in his mouth but he’s not actively going for it

tank mates are:

1 other Jawfish (they are a mated pair)

2 clowns 

1 royal gramma 

(the YCG is still in a nice size quarantine so he’s not in the DT yet)

Qt for observation is minimum 4 weeks because a lot of parasites can take that long to show visible symptoms. It very well could be a parasite.

What size  is the DT

Should I take him out and put him in quarantine? The color on his head is coming back but he looks all banged up. He has little blood spots right by his right eye and his lip looks a little torn... his right eye is banged up as well. I’m wondering now if maybe he got in a fight with the crab. I’ve noticed the crab likes to go in their burrow a lot... 

he’s doing better now... even helping dig parts of the burrow again. I’m gonna pull the crab out just to be safe. Even if I have to tear up the place in the process 

DT is 20gal 

3 hours ago, Hazy said:

Should I take him out and put him in quarantine? The color on his head is coming back but he looks all banged up. He has little blood spots right by his right eye and his lip looks a little torn... his right eye is banged up as well. I’m wondering now if maybe he got in a fight with the crab. I’ve noticed the crab likes to go in their burrow a lot... 

he’s doing better now... even helping dig parts of the burrow again. I’m gonna pull the crab out just to be safe. Even if I have to tear up the place in the process 

DT is 20gal 

Thats a lot of fish for a 20g.

Sounds like something is being agressive towards it and it could be another fish or even the crab